7-Eleven Dance Battles

Sharna Burgess never stopped working. It's like she made a vow to herself that she would never stop improving herself.

She would get in her head sometimes though, and that worried James.

"1,2,3,4,and,5--no, that's not it."

James sat in silence as he watched his professional parter struggle to count their music.

She'd been struggling all day. Messing up lifts, forgetting counts, second guessing herself, she was in her head too much, and James knew just how to get her out.

"Sharna, come here."

"Why?"

"We're going on an adventure."

"No, James we have to rehear--"

"No, you're too into your head, we're going on an adventure."

"But, James, it's almost midnight."

"But nothing, come on, it is an adventure."

Sharna truly smiled for the first time that week.

"Let's roll?"

"Let's roll."

Now, James refused to tell Sharna where they were heading to.

The car ride was filled with "James, where are we going?" or "James, tell me where you're taking me."

James pulled into the lot of a 7-Eleven.

"7-Eleven, seems like a great adventure, Hinch." She chuckled.

"Just wait, Miss. Burgess, there's more."

He opened the trunk of his car to reveal a stereo.

"What are you--"

He clicked play on the stereo, and the top tracks of 90's hip hop music started playing.

Her favorite type of music.

"Come here."

"No...you can't be serious!" She laughed.

"Yes."

She softly chuckled as she watched James do the Sprinkler in the middle of the parking lot.

"He is such a dork" Sharna thought to herself.

"Your turn." Sharna stepped into the center of the area they were in.

Here's to all the years of ballet training.

Sharna started doing graceful turns and jumps around the floor, that didn't go with the music, but it triggered a dance battle between a few people in the lot.

People started forming a circle around the two.

I guess the guy in a hoodie recognized the two and got one half chanting "Sharna! Sharna!" And the other half cheering "James! James!"

Applause empowered her. It always has, even when she was young.

After a half an hour dance battle, the crowd of bystanders declared Sharna the winner.

"Well, I guess my Sprinkler didn't cut it." James chuckled as he got back in the car.

He drove back to the studio - it was about one a.m. - to finish their rehearsals.

"Now, Shar, let me ask you: what is the first thing in your head right now?"

"How much fun that was."

"Honestly? Nothing Dancing With The Stars related?"

"Not the first thing, no."

"Great, my work here is done."

He wrapped his arm around her waist, and they went back to the studio.