James, Sharna's Here

James Hinchcliffe: Indycar Verizon Series Driver, also, pretty good chef, and now: DWTS contestant on Season 23 of the show.

From the moment the two locked eyes, they both knew they'd be best friends until this world ends.

They still kept in contact after their second place season.

It wasn't until a year a half later, stuff just fell through with both of them and they didn't speak for a little bit.

"Happy Mother's Day, Mom." James was over at the house he grew up in for dinner on Mother's Day.

They had dinner with a bunch of his family, which was nice because he hadn't seen a lot of them from being in L.A. for DWTS.

His cousin, Noah, referred to by family as Little Noah - even though he was about 22 at this time - started talking to James after dinner.

"You with anyone? Because I work with this Amanda and I think she'd be--"

"Noah, I'm a bit tied up in my career right now. Dating isn't really happening as of late."

Then, James’s phone buzzed.

Sharna - Hey, James, I'm going to be in Canada for the next little while. Coffee in the morning?

"SHARNA'S IN TOWN?!" James exclaimed in his own mind, because he wasn't about to yell out loud in the middle of the family gathering.

James - Of course, I'd love to get coffee with you. I'll text you the address to the cutest café right down the street.

"But, yeah, Noah, I'm kind of off the dating scene right now."

~~~~~

James took a deep breath as he grasped the handle of the café door.

Just on the opposite side of that door was Sharna Burgess.

The Sharna Burgess.

He pulled open the door and straight across the café was the sassy redhead he knew and loved.

He slowly started making his way to the small corner table she was sitting at.

She looked down at her phone, but looked directly up when she heard the chair scrape across the tile floor as James sat down.

The look in her eyes when their eyes met made James worried, she was nervous, he could tell.

"I've missed you so much, Love."

James sat down.

"I missed you more."

She fiddled with her ring as if she was trying to say something, but she couldn't.

"You doing alright?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Medium espresso please, thank you. But yeah, I'm good." She responded.

"You're nervous, I can tell, Shar, even after all these years I can read you like an open book."

They started talking just like the old times.

"It's just...nevermind, how are you and Becky?"

"That ended a long time ago. Like a year and a half ago."

"Just around the time stuff fell out with me." She mumbled.

"What was that? Thank you." James took his coffee off the waitress tray.

"Nothing."

"Yes, you mumbled something."

"I just said that the time you and Becky split was about the same time stuff fell through with me."

"Is that why you're in Canada? Stuff fell through?"

"Yeah, I came here after tour ended because everything."

What this girl wasn't saying scared James. The fact she wasn't saying anything horrified him.

"What's 'everything', Shar?"

"Paul broke up with me, and it was a pretty nasty fight. I came here because one, I knew you were here and maybe we could visit again, and two, because Val told me I just had to see Canada before I died."

"But you're safe?"

"For the most part."

James looked so scared.

Sharna rolled up her sleeve.

"This is all that's left." A bruise was on her shoulder. A very prominent bruise.

"He..."

"As I was leaving slammed my shoulder against the door, yeah."

"Sharna! I am so sorry!"

James knew she needed to be cared for now.

"You want to come home with me? Just for a little? You can meet my cousin Noah."

"If everyone's cool with it."

James agreed and took Sharna back to his place after they finished their coffees.

Everyone was surprised when James brought the amazing Australian they hadn't seen in years.

"Everyone, this is Sharna. She's going to be staying with us for the next little while."