Wonderful // AU

Dedicated to the lovely, __Rose__Meldoy__! I hope that you enjoy! ❤

"Mr. Hinchcliffe, Mr. Brown would like to speak with you." James looked up from his laptop to see a secretary standing before him.

"Of course." James nodded, adjusting his skinny black tie, and making his way towards his boss's office. James knocked on the door, holding his breath, anxious of what ahead of him. Almost immediately, the door opened. "Sir, you asked to see me?"

"Yes, I did. Come on in, take a seat." He gestured towards the two leather chairs in front of his desk, and James sat down in the leftmost one.

"May I ask why you've called me in?" James nervously tapped his fingers on his thigh. He was one of the best employees; he was punctual, always got his work done, never complained about his trashy hours, he was the employee every business wants.

"James, can you tell me what you've been employed here to do?" Mr. Brown folded his hands atop his mahogany desk.

"Um...yes, I-I'm employed here to trade bonds with the stock market." James answered, a nervous stutter replacing his usually confident tone. And this was true, he was working for the heartless monsters of Wall Street, but it paid the rent, so he couldn't complain.

"Yes, but are you aware of the sort of...side business I have running from this establishment. It's something very hidden, on the D.L. if you know what I mean." Mr. Brown twisted the large ring he was wearing around his pinkie finger. It probably cost him a fortune.

"I'm afraid I don't know what you're getting at, Sir." James whispered.

"James, I'd like you to partner with me in this business." Mr. Brown sat back in his tall chair. "So, what do you say?"

"I'd like to know just what exactly this side business is, Sir." James made eye contact with his boss.

"Oh, of course, of course." He sat up in his chair, beginning to rifle through a manilla folder on his desk. "Our goal with this side business is to essentially become the capital of Wall Street." He looked up at James as he kept going through this folder.

"So, you just want to own every company?" James questioned.

"Basically. We really just want to be the dominant company in this economy, this City." Mr. Brown pulled a paper out of the file.

"And how do we go about this domination?" James furrowed his eyebrows.

"Hit men." Mr. Brown smirked.

"Hit men?! You go out and send hit men to kill the owners of these large corporations? Sir, I'm sorry, but I am not going to be able to be a part of such unethical practices. I'm sorry, it's just--" James rambled off.

"James," James had started to stand up, but sat back down at his boss's tone. "I'm not finished." Mr. Brown flipped the paper over, revealing a business headshot of a woman James knew all too well. "I hear you're quite familiar with this Miss. Sharna Burgess." James gulped, but nodded.

"Y-Yes, Sir." His stutter was back.

"And I'm assuming that you know what I'm about to ask you." Mr. Brown drew out his sentence.

James swallowed hard. "You...you want me to kill her?" James knew that Sharna Burgess owned one of the largest corporations on Wall Street. Not even a block down from their building was where Sharna owned her empire.

"Precisely." Mr. Brown smirked.

"And what if I don't follow through, Sir?" James looked down at the headshot of the gorgeous woman.

"Then, Mr. Hinchcliffe, I'll just have to tell a certain someone," His eyes went to the ring on James' left ring finger. "About your...other business affairs." James would've rather been killed right then and there, then to kill someone else, especially with such an ultimatum on the line. "And if you still don't follow through, Mr. Hinchcliffe, it might just cost you your employment."

~~~~~

"What's the matter, Sweetheart?" Becky asked her husband, who had been uncharacteristically quiet the entire night. She looked over her dark framed glasses at James, who had his head in one hand, and was mindlessly twisting a few strands of pasta around his fork.

"I'm having an affair!" James exclaimed, slamming his fork down onto his plate.

Becky pushed her chair back as she stood up. "Get out of my house! Get out!" She screamed, pointing out the door.

"Rebecca, please let me explain..." James started.

"No! You don't get to explain! Leave!" She started crying, and James' heart fell to the floor, but yet, he left the apartment, taking his wedding ring off and leaving it on the countertop in the process.

~~~~~

Sharna walked over to her door, startled by the repetitive and almost desperate knocks she heard. "James?" She asked. He looked utterly helpless.

"I told Becky, Sharna! I-I gave her my ring, and-and..." James pushed past the redhead and started rummaging through her cabinets. He stood up on his tiptoes when he found what he was searching for in one of the highest cabinets.

Sharna watched in pain as the man she had come to wrongfully love basically broke his teeth on the vodka bottle, trying to get it open. She just stared at the man, knowing she couldn't do anything to stop him. James had already begun to down half the bottle of alcohol, and his breaths once he set the glass bottle down came out shallow.

Not even seconds after, James found himself sprinting to the bathroom down the hall, and proceeding to throw up. James and alcohol had never been good friends, espeically when it was that much in that little of time. James sat on the tile for a moment after, steadying his shaking hands and evening out his breaths. He returned to the kitchen to see Sharna completely horrified at the scene she had just witnessed. She didn't even need to say anything for James to lead her to the sofa and explain everything he was told in the office today.

~~~~~

"Ah, Mr. Hinchcliffe, come on in. I hear you have some news for me?" Mr. Brown asked, opening his office door.

"Yes, Sir. I've fulfilled your request." James spoke with as much confidence as he could muster.

"Have you now?"

"Yes, Sir." James nodded.

"Wonderful." Mr. Brown smirked that devilish smirk of his, and sent James on his way.

James escaped to an empty hallway before making a call on his cellphone.

"James?" The person on the other line asked.

"We're safe, Sharna. We're safe." He sighed a sigh of relief.

~~~~~

Well, __Rose__Meldoy__, I know this probably isn't what you expected, but I still hope you enjoyed it! Xoxo! ❤