n i n e

Chapter 9:

Elena's POV:
Thursday 7:25 P.M.

Over the past week, Ethan has been confusing. Sometimes he'll be neutral towards me and others he'll be rude or just ignore me. It seems like he's rude whenever he's around Palmer who is also a bitch towards me. But, then there are the very rare short moments where he's actually nice and laughing with me. He's usually like that with me at two in the morning when we're alone on the balcony.

I walk down the stairs and into the living room to see everyone sitting on the couches watching T.V. Including Palmer... Great.

I take a seat on the ground leaning against the foot of the couch since there was no room elsewhere.

"Hey, Elena," Savannah says. "Where have you been all day?" Ava asks. "In my room doing homework," I respond blandly. I wasn't just doing homework, I was ignoring Ethan and Palmer because I really didn't want to deal with either of them today. "So, are you excited for your date with Jake tomorrow?" Maya asks. "Yeah, but I still haven't decided on what to wear," I say, not bothering to look away from the screen.

"Oh, that reminds me!" Palmer says. "I was gonna ask if you guys wanted to come up to my cottage for the weekend tomorrow," she says. "I know it's short notice but if you guys wanna do something fun this weekend then you should come! And no need to worry about food, I was already planning on going up this weekend so I'll bring everything," she adds. "I'm down," Evan says. "Yeah, me too," Grayson says. "So, we're going?" Maya asks. "Yeah, sure," Savannah says. "Okay, great!" Palmer cheers. "We'll leave tomorrow at 4:00. Is that good for everyone?" She asks and everyone but me mumbles a 'yes.' 

"Uh, no. I have a date at 6:00," I say turning around to face Palmer. "Aw, that's too bad," Palmer says in a fake sympathetic tone. "How about we go Saturday morning?" Savannah suggests. "The thing is we'll be too tired to do anything when we arrive. So, if we leave tomorrow we'll get there and chill by the lake and watch a movie or something," Palmer says. "It's fine, you guys can go," I say. "No, we're not gonna leave you behind girl," Maya says. "Why not? It's really not a big deal." "We'll go some other time," Savannah says. "I don't think we'll be able to go up to the cottage anytime soon besides for this weekend," Palmer says. "How about you meet us there Saturday morning? You can take my car," Maya says. "Are you sure?" I ask. "Yeah, of course!" "Alright," I say. "Or why don't you come right after your date so we don't have to wait for you in the morning," Palmer suggests. "The date probably won't, be over until like 10 P.M. Won't that be too late? I'll probably get lost since it's so dark or get too tired to drive," I say. "No trust me, it's easy to get to and it's only an hour and 45 minutes away! It won't be so bad," she says. "Okay," I respond and turn my attention back to the T.V.

*

Friday 5:00 P.M.

My 5:00 P.M. alarm went off indicating that it was time for me to start getting ready for my date. I shut off the T.V and walk through the empty house to get to my room. Everyone left this morning to Palmer's cottage leaving the house alone to me.

When I get up to my room, I strip my clothes and put on ripped blue skinny jeans and a white blouse. I then do my makeup and curl the ends of my hair. I slip on my brown ankle boots, grab my phone and walk down the stairs. I sit down on the couch and check my phone to see it's 5:50. I decide to call Ava to see how everyone's doing.

I pull up the phone to my ear after dialing her number and waited for her to pick up. After a few rings, I was sent to voicemail. I shut off my phone and toss it next to me. I look down at the ground lost in thought for a few seconds before my phone rang. I pick it up to see Ava calling.