s e v e n t e e n

Chapter 17:

Elena's POV:

Sunday 9:56 A.M.

I walked down the stairs after forcing myself out of bed to see Maya standing next to Grayson with a cup of coffee as he made pancakes like always.

"Good morning," I said and walked over to the counter. They greeted me back and I sat up on one of the stools.

"How are you guys feeling?" I ask. "We're fine, it's Evan we should be worrying about, he didn't stop drinking when we did, he kept going and even drank more when we got home from the ice cream shop," Grayson says. "Yeah, he's going to have a terrible hangover," I say. "Jeez stop talking so damn loud you're making my head pound even more," Evan says walking into the kitchen. "We're not loud at all," Grayson. "I don't care, whisper," he says and I let out a quiet laugh. He walks over to the cupboard to grab a glass and pulls out medicine from the drawer. He fills up his glass with water before taking the pill he held in his hand. 

"How many pancakes do you guys want?" Grayson asks. "Two," I say. "Four," I hear Ethan say from behind me. Oh god, the kiss. He walks over and sits next to me. I guess that's a good sign.

I noticed he had just come back from a run because he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and was sweaty.

"None for me, I'm gonna throw up," Evan says. "Well, that's what you get for drinking so much two nights in a row," Maya says and he groans. Maya puts two pancakes on one plate and four on another before handing them to Ethan and me.

"Can you pass the syrup?" I ask Ethan. He grabs it from next to him and gives it to me without even looking at me. Great.

"Good morning," I hear my sister mumble from behind me. Everyone responds with a good morning back and she comes and sits next to Ethan.

*

4:42 P.M.

"Hey Mom, can we talk now?" I ask her when I get down the stairs. "Sure, sweetie," she says and gets up from the couch. We walk up to my room and sit down on my bed. 

"So?" I ask. "It's your father," she says. "What about him?" I ask. "Elena, you know how much we've been arguing. You know I'm struggling with having to deal with the fact that he's always in a different state," she says and I look down at the ground. "Drinking is what keeps my mind off of it," she adds. "I get that Mom, but this isn't healthy!" I say looking up and raising my voice. "I know it isn't, but this is the only way I can cope with this. I'm trying to tone it down, but it's hard and it's going to take time." "You promise you're trying?" I ask. "I promise I'm trying my hardest." "Good," I say. "I love you, Elena," she says and pulls me into a tight embrace. "I love you too, Mom," I say and wrap my arms around her. "Do you mind if I stay for tomorrow as well?" She asks me. "Of course you can stay," I say.

We pull away after a few seconds and I head back downstairs as she goes to take a shower.

"Hey, do you guys know where Ethan is?" I ask everyone that was sitting in the living room. "He went for a run," Grayson says before shoving his mouth with chips. Again? "Oh, okay," I say and sit on one of the couches.

"Can I make dinner tonight?" I ask after a few minutes of just sitting down and watching T.V. "I'm tired of doing nothing," I add. "Yeah sure, you want help?" Savannah asks. "No, I'm okay. My ribs are better now, I just can't do anything that requires so much movement," I say. "So taking break dancing classes is off the table I guess," Evan says and I roll my eyes laughing.

*

"And then Elena just face planted into the ground," Bree says laughing as everyone else joins. We were all sitting at the table eating while she was telling everyone the story of when she pantsed me in front of my boyfriend when I was in the ninth grade and I tripped over my pants. Except my mom was up taking a nap and Ethan was still out on his run.