CHAPTER 21

The office was empty. They thought that no one came yet until Martin came out of the commissioner's office and called them in as there was a meeting.

"Good morning, sir"

"Let's skip the introduction, detective" the commissioner replied.

Serena cleared her throat, "of course sir, Smith, Mark's best friend was murdered in the same way that Mark was a shot in the head. We believe that the same person who killed Mark killed Smith but of course, we are not sure. Bad news: there were no obvious clues, good news: Smith was holding a knife, which means that he fought before he was killed. Rodriguez took a blood sample from the knife and will analyse it to see if they have the same blood type"

"Rodriguez, are you sure that you took enough?"

"Y...yes, sir. I think so"

"I don't want you to think, Rodriguez," he said in almost a shout, "I want you to be sure"

"Y...yes sir, I...I am sure, sir"

He sighed, stood up and then talked to all of them "Listen, I have no idea what's happening. But I am sure that those murders are linked and I think that the murderer is choosing his victims. We have to be very careful and let's hope that the blood analyses will help us. You can leave, now"

They all left in silence but once Rodriguez closed the door, they started speaking.

"Hey Rodriguez, was the crime scene similar?"

He pushed his glasses "everything was the same except for the resisting part"

"Why?" Serena said, "Why is he choosing them? And the better question is will he continue with their remaining friends?"

Everyone stared at Serena.

"Do you think that it's possible?" Ryan asked.

"Well, I am sure that my 'jinx' has nothing to do with it since I rarely had a conversation with them"

Chris and Ryan felt uncomfortable but Martin and Rick smiled.

"I think it's very possible," Martin said putting an arm around her shoulders, which could have been met with Rick's punch, but he settled with glaring at Martin "he looks like he is triggering that gang"

"What if one of them is killing the rest?"

Everyone stared at Rick; they forgot that he was standing with them.

Serena tilted her head, "That's very possible"

"Hey drug dealer, you are my partner, not Serena's. So don't go switching partners whenever you feel like it"

"Sorry straight line, but I won't leave Serena to go to a crime scene alone"

"I am not 5," Serena said and then raised an eyebrow, "straight line?"

"Well I had to meet that drug dealer thing with something and since he is so perfect he should be called straight line"

They all smiled then Rick said, "can't we know anything else from the blood except its type?"

"Medication isn't advanced in Countyville," Ryan said and shrugged "nothing is, actually"

Rick left to change his clothes and rest a while leaving the rest working. While working, Serena noticed Martin's hand "Hey Martin, what's wrong with your hand?"

He looked at his wounded hand "I was fighting with one of Crab and they decided to take things into their own hands"

"Oh my God, are you OK?"