Chapter 3

As I was staring at the ceiling in my worn-out bedroom, I heard silence. The laughter seized and I could faintly hear some snores through my werewolf hearing.

I let out a sigh of relief as I realised that today they seemed to forget my usual beating. I was still not sure why I was still here, but I had this feeling like something had to happen.

Besides that, I still felt this burning on my heart like it was on fire. I knew the reason... The rejection, after all, is painful. Mikael being an Alpha doesn't affect much because as Alpha comes power and I was a simple Omega with no future.

I was just nothing, right?

Suddenly, I started to feel thirsty and I had to go downstairs. At first, I didn't want to go, afraid that I might just get that beating. But as the more time passed, my throat seemed to dry up. I had no choice, I had to go downstairs and take up my chances.

I opened the door slowly and looked around, finding no one. I tip-toed downstairs and made sure that everyone was sleeping on the ground or the sofas. I was relieved when I found the kitchen empty and quickly drank water in one gulp.

I smiled sadly as I looked at this small luxury. I washed the cup and put back on the rack. I turned around and I closed my eyes instantly when I felt the pain in my lower abdomen. I wanted to scream, but something in me told me to be quiet. I quickly grabbed and I felt some kind of liquid.

Finally, I opened my eyes slowly and saw Hugo with a devilish smile.

I looked down and a knife penetrated on my lower abdomen. From the pain I felt, the knife was made of silver, which is the deadliest component for a werewolf. My tears instantly started tearing from eyes. I was about to push him away, but he held my limp arms.

He said maniacally, "Did you really think that today you were safe? Did you think that you could just get away?"

I finally gasped, "Why?"

He laughed like a maniac while saying, "Mikael doesn't need you. You are better off dead, don't you think? He will be pleased."

My vision seemed to blur as my blood rapidly started to stain the ground. I was already starting to lose my surroundings when Hugo took the knife out my abdomen. I dropped to the ground and nothing in me had enough energy left.

The darkness started to take me, and my last thought was death.

I was going to die.

Maybe, I already was.

*****

I looked around and saw this beautiful greenery with a tranquil environment. It was the most amazing thing that I had witnessed but I had that sense of familiarity.

When I turned around from the beautiful greenery, I saw something strange. I was in the middle of a forest that had all the light in it and the other side was pure darkness. On one hand, I felt warm and on the other, I felt cold.

It was strange also because I felt a presence around me. I called out so they could appear in front of me, but whoever the presence was, I didn't know.

But I knew one thing... That I was either dreaming or on a verge of dying.

In my whole life, I had never been out of Crescent Pack, neither met anyone else besides the pack members. I was only allowed at either home or school, and that was it.

I seemed lost in my thoughts that I didn't realise that everything was starting to vanish.

In no time, I was out of the dream world.

*****

I woke up with bright lights shining in my eyes. I could smell the medicines and the death. I knew where I was because I am constantly here.

At the pack hospital.

The doctors and nurses knew me well as I was regular, but they didn't really care for me; no one did.

Suddenly, all the memories flooded, and my wolf howled in pain, physically and emotionally. I remember that my mate, Mikael Blackwood, the Alpha had rejected me, my adoptive sister was the Luna and the Beta had just stabbed me.

Tragic.

When my eyes adjusted properly, I saw something odd.

In front of me was my so-called mate with a frown and disgusted look in his eyes. We looked at each other for what it seemed like an eternity, and for a second, I hoped that he would whisk me away from all the evil around, but I broke our eye contact first.

His voice laced with venom, "I see that you are still alive."

My throat instantly was dry up, losing all my words. Minute by minute, I started to feel like I was losing my wolf and I couldn't do anything about it.

Nothing really made sense. Every day I wondered why did my parents leave me? Why wasn't I important? Did I do something wrong, or were they simply selfish?

Mikael shouted in irritation, shaking me in the process, "Did you hear me, stupid girl?"

I have been called worst, but today his name callings sounded crueller. I didn't dare to utter any word and waited until he started again.

Eventually, he did. "I was right. You can't protect yourself, then how will you lead the pack? I'm sure my wolf finally understands that you are just not worthy of being my Luna."

I nodded my head and closed my eyes, dismissing him and ignoring his presence. I kept my eyes closed, but I heard that he had thrown something against the wall. It was weird, he didn't slap me or called me more names; he just walked away.

I finally opened my eyes and looked around the room, finding a shattered vase. I looked at the white ceiling and smelled the air, and in that time, I let my unshed tears fall.

After all, that's all I could do.

I was already weak and dying inside, what else was left for me?

And today, he showed me that we are just not meant to be.