Chapter 14

Sometimes when you're in a dark place, you think you've been buried, but actually, you've been planted.

Yet, I am still lost, so lost.

However, not as much as two years ago... Being friends with these creatures that were supposed to be my enemy felt natural, like being here means something... I wonder if has something to do with the legend.

Yet, I am not free.

Not knowing more about the legend is holding me back. Trying to convince Winter and Caleb is impossible, they are not ready to hear anything. Usually, it leads to fights, ending me being frustrated and angry, but I try to move on... The problem is that I can't.

There are other nights that I remember about my ex-mate and my ex-pack... The tears don't stop, each moment replays like a movie and I can't stop it. The hole in my heart is getting bigger by the second and the anger intensifies by the hour. I still seek revenge for all they did to me, and Roxanne is more than eager. The only difference is that I have control now.

The reason that Winter or Caleb didn't kill my ex-mate, Mikael, was because they don't know who it is, neither they know about which pack. When Winter saw my past, there were fragments that she couldn't see, like names or Moon Goddesses' visit.

Roxanne said with an edge, "We will have our revenge."

Before I could react, someone in the background shouted, "Miss Amelia. Miss Amelia."

I looked up and saw a young witch with a worried face. I tried to smile as best as I could and answered her, "Liliana, sorry. What were you saying?"

She stood straighter and asked, "Are you okay, Miss Amelia?"

Winter had open a small school for young witches after I suggested. Before, their mothers would teach them, but sometimes it wasn't always safe. After Winter agreed, she put me in charge and now I was helping these young girls through it.

Currently, I was in one of the classrooms where the girls were learning about few potions. I had learnt few of them, so I volunteered to teach them.

I nodded rapidly while I said, "Yes, of course. How can I help you?"

After few heartbeats, she finally told me, "We don't have Mora Tapinella."

Mora Tapinella was a fungus found growing on the tree stumps and fallen trees in the forested regions. This type of fungus is used for illusions spells to confuse the opponent for few hours.

I looked around for any other teachers, but I couldn't find any of them. Normally, there was a stock of them, but apparently, they were falling short. I knew where in the forest these fungi could be found, but that would mean to break one of Winter's rule.

I didn't think twice as I said, "I will go and get them."

Liliana asked, "Are you sure you can? Queen Winter--"

I interrupted her, "Of course, don't worry. If anyone asks, tell them that I will come back soon and with a new stock of Mora Tapinellas."

Liliana shrugged her shoulders and said, "If you say so."

Quickly, I took my bag and run out of the door. Along the way, there were few witches that looked up wanting to talk with me, but I started walking faster. After dogging Winter's guards, I finally reached the border.

I took a step outside with excitement and I looked around. It had been a year that I didn't step outside of the land and it felt like freedom. I could breathe a different air like it was intoxicating and purer. Adrenaline pumping through my veins, I started making my way where Mora Tapinellas were.

Trees surrounding me everywhere as I twirled around. It was like I was watching a new world. I was shielded from the outside world because Caleb and Winter feared for some reason and I wondered if walking through this path I would find my answer...

Each step I went through, my footprints left their mark on the newly wet ground. It was raining slowly but the sun was still visible creating a beautiful rainbow. I took a moment to penetrate this imagery into my brain.

Instantly, an old memory crossed my mind and made me stop in my tracks as I recalled. That memory took place on a day similar to today... I was an innocent 12 years old and it was Friday afternoon... I was getting out of the school ready for my weekend and I had to go to the lockers to take my book out.

After I took my reading book, I closed my locker and something knocked on my head. I dropped to the ground and touched my head just to see my bloody hand, small tears in my eyes couldn't be stopped. Slowly, I looked up to find Hugo, Mikael and Shannon laughing and taking pictures.

I snapped out of it when a bird flapped her wings loudly. Touching my cheeks, I felt wetness on it and wiped quickly. I no longer liked the sun or the rainbows... The light always brought me bad memories, while the night and the moon gave me so much more.

Continuing my path, I finally reached a tree stumps but I couldn't find any Mora Tapinellas. I started making my way further till I saw two fallen trees and I could clearly see the fungus all around. Without falling, I made my way there and started collecting it.

As I was about to turn around and make my way home, I stopped.

I spotted a single black rose in the middle of the forest, twinkling all alone. It was rare to find this type of flower or colour in this area. When I reached near of it, I crouched down and touched the delicate flower with my fingertips.

Straightaway, I felt a sharp pain and my hand touched my neck. In between, I could feel a long object penetrating my skin. As I took out of my skin, another sharp pain was felt and I saw a syringe in my hands.

My vision started to blur and my legs started to give out, I closed my eyes momentarily to clear my vision. My ears turned deaf and my whole body started feeling tense. I tried to reach for Roxanne but she was too far away in my mind.

Something bumped my shoulders and I tried to look to my right with a blur in my eyes, but everything around me was washed and dizzy. My whole body wanted to give up from the sedative injected into my body. I dropped to the ground and looking up one final time, I saw a blurred man standing over me.

I closed my eyes lightly and felt my body being lifted up...

The rest was swallowed in the darkness.

*****
1189 words

Amelia finally broke free and smelled the fresh air, but things didn't go accordingly. Someone or something came into her way...

What do you think will happen next?

Who could be?

Read, vote and comment!