2.6 | JHS

— we have controlover less than we think

  — we have control
over less than we think.

OCTOBER 21:
JUNG HOSEOK

==  

hoseok takes a moment to breathe in deeply.

"you've got to be kidding me."

it's been at least an hour since him, namjoon, seokjin, and jimin got back from that—atrocious, if he may add—traffic downtown, and two collectively since the other three went to grab coffee. and by what jae's frustrated words have conveyed, neither jeongguk, yoongi, nor taehyung have gotten back to her large string of texts. the elder lady is pacing frantically up and down the hallway, mumbling phrases like "safe, please be safe", "the idiot probably put his phone on silent," "get back to me, taehyungie..." it's a tense, unsettling mood, to say the least.

taehyung's mother has said a scarce number of words, but the anxious expression on her face is enough of an explanation. in any other situation, their predicament wouldn't even be considered such; it's just three adults, after all, a few hours late with a confused parents at their tail. the circumstances could technically be as anticlimactic as an uncharged phone, or a late taxi. but hoseok knows better. all of them know better. any possibility is fair game, and because of that disconcerting fact, unease floods the room.

"maybe," namjoon clears his throat to rid the shakiness of his words, "maybe the traffic bled into the central part of the city where they are. it makes sense, right? i mean, just think about how long it took us to get here. we've got to give them some time."

seokjin sighs. "then why haven't the texted us? they all have our numbers, right? how can they not see our shit ton of texts, c'mon." and the point does make sense; their phones, at this point, should be flooded with messages concerning their whereabouts, their dinner plans, their general safety, for shit's sake.

"taehyung usually takes really long to respond," jimin says. he's gently rubbing mrs. kim's shoulders, stooped with age, in a form of comfort. "that might be it, but..."

"then what about jeongguk and yoongi?"

"yeah," jimin exhales shakily, "yeah, exactly."

and then, jae's phone vibrates.

in the next moments her fingers are flying, pressing against the screen, as she squints against the harsh electronic light. there's a distinct flicker of relief that passes over her face, but it quickly morphs into confusion: and just as quickly, back to utter assurance. a bright, wrinkled smile stretches across her face. "it's taehyung, thank god."

"really?" it's almost as if the unease is sucked from the room, with air flooding back into their restricted lungs. namjoon grins. "what did he say?"