"Baby Talk." - Thirty-Nine

DATE: December 30, 2015

-

Mr. Soo laughed as Tobi started barking nonstop and jumping around all of their legs. "You got a dog?" he asked, bending over to pick the mutt up. Pippa nodded, but quickly corrected him by saying, "Actually dad, Lin got me a dog." She rocked on her heels slightly as she saw her father give Lin an approving nod.

Mrs. Soo smiled and walked over to Lin, putting her hand on his arm. "So, Lin, tell me, what happened to your nose." She had forgotten to ask her daughter's boyfriend about the rather large wound that was on his nose bridge. It wasn't open anymore, of course, it was closed. A scab. Lin was at loss at words. He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, clearing his throat, not knowing where to look. "Well, actually," he chuckled softly, "it's a long story..."

Pippa glanced over and noticed that Lin was struggling a bit. She excused herself and walked over, leaving her father to play with Tobi. She grabbed Lin's arm innocently and looked over at her mother. "So, what are we talking about over here?" she asked, grinning widely when she saw Lin give her a grateful smile before answering her question. "Your mother here asked me what happened to my nose."

   Mrs. Soo patiently waited for an answer as the gears in Pippa's brain turned rather quickly. "You see mom, Lin woke up in the middle of the night to get a small snack." She shot her boyfriend a fake 'typical Lin,' face before returning to her story. "When he was coming back, he tripped over Tobi and toppled over, hitting his nose on the edge of the dining table." Lin was impressed on how quickly she could come up with a good story to cover up the truth. He just gave Mrs. Soo an awkward smile and nodded. "Yeah, I tripped over Tobi... Poor girl..."

Pippa's mom nodded, obviously convinced by the story. "That must have hurt," she said, grimacing at the thought of the pain.

"Yeah, it hurt badly... Luckily, I didn't break it." He watched as Pippa's mom said a few words about speaking with her daughter privately before she stole her away for a few minutes.

The two ladies sat down on the couch, Mrs. Soo suddenly excited. "So, how many weeks are you in?"

   Pippa chuckled softly and started twiddling her thumbs subconsciously. "About 8 weeks in-"

   "Have you had your prenatal cheek up yet?"

   "No mom, not yet. It's scheduled in a little more than a week-"

   Mrs. Soo let out a small excited squeal. "You can have your ultrasound then!" She grabbed Pippa's hand. "And you have to send me a picture of the sonogram. I need to see my precious grandchild."

   Pippa laughed and nodded. "Alright mom, I send you a copy of the picture." She paused for a moment, hesitating slightly. "Mom, aren't you a least bit... disappointed?"

   Phillipa's mom thought a bit, but ended up shaking her head. "Phillipa, you're seeing someone who I think is an amazing man and who really cares about you! And might I say, he's a genius who created the Broadway hit, 'Hamilton,' and 'In the Heights!' Sweetie, your career is flourishing, and I have no doubt that this is only the beginning. Lin seems to be a man really dedicated to his family, and I hope that he proposes to you soon, because I most definitely want him to be my son-in-law!"

   The last bit made Pippa laugh. She gave her mother a grateful smile and nodded. "Thanks mom. I was scared that you would be happy, but a bit disappointed that I got pregnant at such an early age..."

   "I mean, you're 25 years old and you're no longer a little girl." Mrs. Soo sighed sadly, but continued. "You have your own life, and you can make your own decisions. Are you keeping the baby?"

   Pippa nodded immediately. She had never considered abortion, and she never wanted to give away her baby to someone else. "Yes, I'm keeping the baby. And I don't think that Lin wants me to do otherwise, as well."

"Good." Mrs. Soo nodded approvingly. "I'm going to have the cutest grandson! Tell me, sweetheart, when is Lin going to propose? As I said before, I can't wait."

Pippa looked away as a blush spread across her cheeks. "Mom, I don't... I don't know yet, I mean, we've only been dating for 6 months-"

"Phillipa, your father proposed to me 7 months in."

"Yes, I know that mom. But I just don't want to rush into anything, you know?"

Pippa's mom couldn't contain her laughter and started giggling. "No offense baby, but you kind of already rushed into something. In to two things, actually. Moving in and having se-"

"Alright, alright, I know," Pippa muttered, her face red. She glanced over at her father and Lin, who were engaged in what seemed to be a serious conversation.

She just simply shrugged this off and continued talking to her mom, but little did Pippa know, Lin was actually asking her father for her hand in marriage.

-

This chapter is shorter than I wanted it to be, and this took me waaaay too long to write. But yeah, Lin may or may not ask Pippa to be his wife soon..........

Excuse me if there were any grammatical errors, typos or repetition!

Thank you for reading!
- Danielle