Chapter Seven

Mackenzie's POV

"Madison Ziegler! What the hell was that? You missed the split, something I taught you when you were four years old!" Miss Abby screamed.

"I, um, I- my leg, um, I-" she spluttered but couldn't get an answer out. Maddie never messes up, I think she surprise herself.

"You know what? I don't even care. Why are you here if you don't get the job done? Huh? You think because if Mackenzie messes up all the time that you do it and you're off the hook? No. I'll guess I have to teach you a lesson, Madison. Mackenzie," she turned to look at me and took a deep breath, "Mackenzie, you're off the team."

My jaw dropped and a tear slipped.

"W-what? I-I didn't do anything, t-though." I stuttered.

"Well, you can thank your sister for it."

"So, little miss perfect messes up and I get punished for it? That's so not fair!" I yelled.

"That's just the way it is, sweetie."

"No! Abby, you can't do that, it was my mistake not Mackenzie's. Please don't take it out on her." Maddie pleaded.

"Are you arguing with me, Madison?"

"No, I just don't think it's f-"

"Okay, I'm not dealing with this. You're both gone. I don't care even if you're the best dancer in the world, if you're going to mess up and argue then you're gone. Good bye."

I glanced over at Maddie, who looked dead. The shine in her eyes was gone, the life looked like it was sucked out of them. Her face turned as pale as a ghost. She stood there as Abby was screaming at her, oblivious. I don't know if she was even listening. I don't even know if she was alive. Those words hit her and they hit her hard.

"I said goodbye!" Abby screamed.

"C'mon, Maddie, let's go." I said tugging on her shoulder, she wouldn't budge. "Maddie! C'mon!" I said tugging a little harder.

I grabbed her legs and swung her up and grasped her with my arms. I had to carry her body all the way to the car. She was just staring into space with her arms hanging. I feel bad. She just lost the one thing she loved. Dance.

The next week at school had been rough for her.

"Nobody likes me anymore, since I don't dance." Maddie said one day after school.

"Well, of they do, honey." Mom said in a sweet voice.

"No they don't."

"Yes they do!"

"Whatever, I'm going up to my room."

For some odd reason I followed her up. I sat there for a few minutes before I heard faint sobs.

"Maddie, are you okay?" I asked as I peeked in.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She said wiping her eyes.

"Tell me what's wrong." I said.

She tossed me her phone and looked at the harsh things people say to her. I gasped at some of the things I saw.

"Why would people say this?"

"I don't know." She said.

"I guess without dance I am nothing."

"No, you're-"

"Girls! Dinner!" My mom called.

We both walked downstairs an enjoyed our dinner.