Chapter Twenty Two

Mackenzie's POV

"What would you like?" Logan asked.

"I'm gonna go sit down, pick for me?"

"Sure." He smiled.

After about five minutes of waiting, he plopped down in the chair across from me and handed me some type of coffee.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome." He took a sip from his coffee, "So, how have you been?"

"I-I've been okay, I guess." A tear slipped down my cheek.

"Hey, it's okay." He reached over and wiped my tear with his thumb.

"I-I know. I..... I just miss h-her, you know?"

"I know. I'm sorry but I promise it'll get better."

"Obviously it won't anytime soon."

"No, it won't."

"Nobody was expecting it. Nobody." I whispered.

"Hm?"

"Nobody was expecting Maddie to.... commit suicide. S-She had no reason to do it. Yeah, she got kicked out of dance. Yeah, she lost her boyfriend. Yeah, she got a little taste of being unpopular.... like me, I guess.

"But that gave her no reason! She wasn't unpopular her whole life! She wasn't over shadowed by her older sister! She didn't have everyone forgetting her name or just tell her how great her older sister was. She wasn't abused or yelled at every time she did something wrong. She wasn't a trouble maker. Her older sister, who she looked up to, didn't commit suicide. No. Reason." That felt good to get out.

"I'm guessing that whole second part's your life?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah." I sighed.

"Wow. You'd think you'd be the one who committed suicide." He looked at me. "No! That's not what I meant. Um, I, I just, uh-"

"No, I get it. Some times I ask myself why I don't just do it now, I have no reason now to stay here."

"Hey, you have me." He tried a smile.

"Do I?"

"Yes! Of course you do! Look, I know you probably don't trust me, heck, you probably don't trust anybody, but I promise you I will always be here for you no matter what. You don't have to believe me but I will be."

"Um, I should be getting back. Sorry, bye." I smiled before running back.

What a day. I think Logan's lying. I can't believe anyone. I really can't.

Votes and comments

💙Cailee