Chapter 11 ~ Almost Eaten

Episode: Season 1, Scarecrow Pt. 3

It turns out that the missing couples were apparently being killed by the scarecrow we'd found in the apple orchard. And apparently, it wasn't even a scarecrow, it was actually a pagan god named Vanir. Oh and did I forget to mention we were currently tied to trees in that very same apple orchard by the elders of the community so they could sacrifice us to Vanir? Oh, I didn't? Must've slipped my mind. I wriggled in my restraints and sighed as night fell around us.

"Well, this-this is just great, isn't it? We're about to be eaten because of you!" I spat, glaring daggers at Dean, "This is all your fault and the worst thing is that I knew something like this would end up happening,"

He scoffed at me, "Oh, please, quit blaming me for your own shortcomings. You didn't have to come on this trip!"

"No, I didn't. I did it for Sam! And look where that's gotten me!" I shouted, gesturing to my bound hands above my head, "I followed his stupid brother after a scarecrow- nice of you to notice it wasn't a scarecrow till after the fact, by the way - and now I'M ABOUT TO GET EATEN!"

"Oh, sorry, little princess, I guess hunting wasn't all you thought it would be, was it? Well, next time you can just stay at the hotel!" he shot back.

"Better than being stuck here with you!" I huffed, pursing my lips in vexation.

We sat in silence a moment then before I eventually spoke up.

"You don't have a plan, do you?" I asked, glancing over at him.

He shrugged as best he could with his restraints, "I'm working on it,"

"Lovely," I muttered.

"Can you see?" he asked me.

"What?"

"Is he moving yet?"

I tried to twist around but the ropes bit into my skin and I hissed slightly in pain.

"I can't see-" I started to say but was cut off by the sound of footsteps approaching us from behind.

My brown eyes widened and I looked over to Dean who mirrored my expression.

"Dean?" a voice called out and I let out a strangled laugh as Sam came into view.

"Sammy! You came to get me! I knew you would! Do you know what I've had to put up with here? He's been annoying and whining and teasing and awful-" I started to say but Dean cut me off.

"Oh, shut up, I wasn't that bad." Dean grumbled.

I rolled my eyes as Sam cut us both free as well.

"How did you get here?" he asked him.

Sam hesitated a moment, "I, uh stole a car.

I cracked a smile and Dean laughed.

"That's my boy!" we said in unison before glaring at each other for saying it at the same time.

"Keep an eye on that scarecrow. It could come alive any minute," Dean told Sam.

"What scarecrow?" Sam asked us.

Dean and I got up off the ground and came to stand by Sam, looking out across the orchard. But the scarecrow was nowhere in sight. We ran through the trees then towards the Impala as Dean explained everything that had been going on to Sam. Suddenly, lights flashed on all around us and we were surrounded. I sent a menacing glare towards the old couple as the man pointed a gun at us.

"Let us go!" I shouted at him, feeling the anger boil up inside of me.

"It will be over quickly. I promise," the man told us with slight sincerity ringing in his voice, "You have to let him take you all. You have to-"

A slicing sound could be heard then and my eyes widened as a blade protruded from the old man's chest. Blood dribbled down the front of his shirt as he groaned before falling to the ground in a lifeless heap. The women screamed all around as the scarecrow took the old couple away with him. My heart pounded in my chest as Dean, Sam, and I ran through the orchard back to the Impala. But we could still hear the screams of the woman echoing around the open clearing.

The next morning we went back to the orchard and burned up the sacred tree which was the life-force of Vanir. We saw the old couple's niece off to the bus station before heading back to the car.

"So can I drop you off somewhere?" Dean asked Sam as we walked.

I kicked a rock glumly away with the toe of my Converse. But Sam just shook his head to Dean's question.

"No, I think you're stuck with me," he admitted and my eyes lit up.

"Does that mean you're staying?" I asked with a grin and he nodded.

"Yay! No more boring Dean trips!" I cheered to which I received a slap on the back of my head.

I blew a raspberry at Dean and he laughed.

"What made you change your mind?" he asked him.

"I didn't. I still want to find dad. And you're still a pain," Sam shrugged at him, "But Jess and mom, they're both gone. Dad is who knows where. You, me and Parker, we're all that's left. So, uh, if we're gonna see this through we're gonna do it together,"

"Hold me, Sam. That was beautiful," Dean said mock-seriously.

I put a hand over my heart and blinked my eyes several times like I had tears in them, "That should have won an award right there. Got me right in the feels,"

Sam rolled his eyes and grinned at the two of us as we got in the Impala, "You were dead meat, you two,"

"Yeah, right. I had a plan, I'd have gotten out," Dean called over his shoulder.

From over the roof of the car, I shook my head at Sam.

"No." I mouthed and he snickered.