Chapter 32 ~ Midnight Talks & Rabbit Feet

Episode: Season 3 - Bad Day at Black Rock Pt. 1

I tossed and turned in my bed, just staring up at the ceiling of the motel room. Rolling my eyes at my own insomnia, I got up and slipped on my jacket before exiting the room. Cool night air hit me in the face and I welcomed the change of temperature. I crossed my arms and closed my eyes as I leaned against the side of the building. What was wrong with me? I couldn't quit thinking about last night...Dean and Lisa.

But why? What was the point even? It's not like I liked him that way. He was just annoying...wasn't he? Wasn't he just annoying? Hadn't that always been my feelings for him?

I pushed away the thoughts as the door to our room creaked open and out stumbled a half-asleep Sam. I pursed my lips, turning away but he walked up beside me anyway.

"What are you doing up at this hour, Parker?" he asked, checking the watch still clinging to his wrist, "It's like 2 AM,"

I let out a long breath, blowing a strand of dark hair from my face, "I don't know, Sammy... I don't even know anymore..."

A look of concern instantly crossed his face and he gazed down at me as he put a hand on my shoulder, turning me to face him.

"Park? Park, what's wrong?" he asked and I shrugged him off.

"Nothing, Sam, it's fine. I'm just...I just can't sleep-" I started to say but he cut me off.

"This is about the Dean and Lisa thing, isn't it?" he questioned and I snapped my gaze away from him, instead choosing to look out at the treeline across the parking lot.

"No," I lied instantly.

Sam arched an eyebrow at me, crossing his arms. I let out a sigh, looking down at my bare feet on the cement.

"I just..." I trailed off, my brown eyes briefly fluttering closed as I ran a hand through my hair, "I just don't know what's wrong with me lately... It's like these little things that never used to bother me...just do now. And I don't know why..."

"Parker, have you ever thought that maybe it's because you...feel something for Dean?" he pressed and my eyes shot to him.

"What are you talking about? I hate Dean! I've always hated Dean!" I bit out harshly, eyes hardening with the accusation.

Sam was unconvinced though, not budging an inch on this one.

"Always is a long time. And as I remember correctly, you didn't always hate him..." he told me softly and I chewed my lip in thought, my anger deflating.

"Maybe not...but what's different now? What's changed?" I whispered the last part, more to myself than him before I slipped back inside the motel room.

Dean was snoring when we walked back in and I rolled my eyes as I crawled back beneath the covers. Sam got in his own bed across from me and he shot me a small smile before drifting off to sleep himself. My eyelids felt heavy then and it wasn't long before I fell asleep. Fast forward seven hours later and me and the boys were sitting at a restaurant in Black Rock, Buffalo, New York. I picked at the food on my plate, just shoving it from side to side across the pristine white glass. I felt Sam eyeing me concernedly but I didn't give him the satisfaction of looking up.

We were on a new case now. Something about a lucky rabbit's foot that brings a person good luck...until they lose and then the person will end up dying. Sam had already started getting lucky, though - winning thousands off scratch cards and finding a gold watch. Plus when we walked in, we just won a year's worth of free food. Dean was ecstatic, of course as he shoveled in the food. I sat across from him and Sam, my cheek leaning against my hand as I gazed out the window.

The boys were discussing the case and what to do with the rabbit's foot. I was in the process of tuning them out when a voice interrupted us.

"Can I freshen you up?" a feminine voice asked the boys.

I looked up to see face that looked so familiar to me, it was surprising.