Chapter 24 ~ What I Just Realized

Episode: Season 2 - What Is and What Should Never Be Pt. 2

I drove back to the old house then. I couldn't believe it. Mom was there, alive. She was alive. But dad...she said he'd died the year before from a stroke... How could that even be possible?

I spent the night at the house, intending to spend some time with her. I had so much to ask, so much to say. She just smiled, listening to me. Things were perfect, this was perfect. I'd went to a college professor after that and he confirmed my suspicions. The djinn had done this to me.

It was all a dream that my mind had concocted...and I intended to live it to the fullest. I knew I was dying in here but...but it was perfect. Everything I'd wanted in life was here. I went back to mom's house then and Sam arrived a little later with...Jessica in tow. He told me they were engaged now. I beamed at my little brother, congratulating him.

He was happy. And that's all I'd ever wanted for him. That night, we went to a restaurant for mom's birthday. Parker sat beside me, dressed in a short, maroon-colored dress. A black diamond necklace was around her neck, her hair in curls. She turned to me then and grinned.

"What are you staring at?" she asked, stifling a laugh.

I blinked, shaking my head, "N-nothing, nothing..."

She just shook her head at me, putting a hand over mine. Glancing down at our hands, I bit my lip before looking back at her once more.

"I was really worried about you last night," she said softly as Sam, Jessica, and mom chattered on about wedding details.

"Oh, I'm-I'm good. I'm really good," I told her honestly, smiling.

She was silent a moment, watching me before speaking up again.

"What do you say later we get you a cheeseburger?" she asked and I grinned, despite myself.

"Yes!" I cheered and she laughed, shushing me as people sent us pointed looks from around the restaurant.

I watched her then and...and it felt like I was seeing her for the first time. She wasn't that snot-nosed little kid I'd chase after with earthworms in my hand, threatening to dump them in her hair. She was a woman now...

"How did I end up with such a cool chick?" I asked her softly and she smiled at me.

She shrugged, "I just got low standards."

I grinned and she returned the gesture. Without even thinking about it, I crashed my lips into hers. She kissed me back instantly and I felt her smile into the kiss before we broke apart. We heard someone tapping on a glass then and Sam and Jessica announced something wonderful. It felt like everything was falling into place. They were engaged!

Everyone toasted Sam then and I joined in, smiling at my brother who I'd never seen happier. But everything was not quite as perfect as I'd once thought. After dropping mom off, he'd confronted me and told me that we didn't get along. When Parker and I went home, I sat down on the couch and she brought me a beer. I smiled, taking it from her.

"My favorite," I said, popping it open before taking a swig, "I guess you know me pretty well,"

She shrugged, smiling, "Afraid so."

Parker sat down beside on the couch then, facing me.

"You all right?" she asked in concern, noticing the frown that had formed on my face.

"Sammy and I, we don't get along," I admitted to her.

"Well, you don't really spend a lot of time together," Parker pointed out to me, "I mean, I just think you don't know each other all that well,"

I nodded, still troubled by it. She smiled at me then, though.

"For the record, he doesn't know what he's missing," she said softly and slowly, a brief small smile broke out across my face.

"I could fix things with Sam. I can make it up to him. To everyone," I insisted and she nodded.

"Okay. What's gotten into you lately?"

"This isn't gonna make a lick of sense to you. But I kind of feel like I've been given a second chance. And I don't wanna waste it,"

She nodded, shaking her head. Dark ringlets fell in cascades around her shoulders as she did. I almost thought she believed me but then she burst out laughing.

"You're right. That doesn't make any sense-" she giggled and I rolled my eyes playfully, grinning before cutting her off with my lips.

I kissed her voraciously, her lips so soft on mine. Her mouth tasted like vanilla and strawberries, the taste intoxicating me as my hands found their way to her hips, bring her ever closer. She kissed me back immediately and I smiled into the kiss before breaking away from her.

"You know, I get it," I told her, my voice soft.

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "Get what?"

"Why you're the one," I breathed out honestly and slowly, she smiled at me.

Gosh, she was so beautiful.

"Well - whatever's gotten into you, I like it," she grinned before kissing me again.

Our lips moved in sync, like puzzle pieces fitting together perfectly. Like this was supposed to be. As my hands gripped her waist, she kissed me over and over. And nothing felt more right than this. Than her. She broke away then, leaning back and I attacked her neck with kisses. Her eyes fluttered closed, reveling in the feeling when suddenly, she pushed me away gently but forcefully.

"Oh, come on. Don't do this to me now. I've gotta get ready for work," she admonished playfully and I pouted.

"You gotta work now?" I asked her as she left to go get dressed.

I followed after her to the bedroom.

"I told you. I've got the night shifts on Thursday," Parker explained.

"You work nights at the, uh...?" I trailed off and she rolled her eyes.

"Hospital," she offered and I nodded as she picked out a pair of scrubs to wear.

"I'm dating a nurse. That is so respectable." I smiled and she rolled her eyes again before leaving for work.