Chapter 39 ~ Sorry If I Smothered You

Episode: Season 3 - Fresh Blood Pt. 2

As I stumbled back to the bedroom where Dean and Sam were sleeping, I let out a choked sob. Tears brimmed in my dark brown eyes but I knew in my heart, I couldn't stay with them. They'd have no choice but to put me down. And I knew that it would break them. Break them to know that their best friend was a vampire. I bit my lip to keep from crying out and quietly, pulled my suitcase out from underneath my twin bed between the brothers'.

I hadn't even unpacked - rule of hunting, I guess. So I just grabbed a piece of hotel paper and a pen from the desk and began writing a note. My heart broke into pieces with every word I wrote down, memories coming back to me in flashes - growing up together, the arguing, the joking, the laughing. All of that fading away, never to be mine again. A song from next door drifted into our room and I looked up, listening.

"I am wasted, losing time,"

Quickly, I wrote down the rest of the note, feeling time running out as the fangs in my mouth began to grow at a rapid rate.

"I'm a foolish, fragile spine,"

Leaving the note on the desk, I picked up my suitcase and made my way to the door. I stopped suddenly, turning around to glance back at the brothers one last time. My eyes landed on Sam and I smiled. My best friend - the one that had always been there for me ever since I was a kid. One who'd always seen the good in me even when I could not.

"I want all that is not mine,"

My eyes flicked to Dean then, his sleeping form making my heart melt. In that moment, I couldn't even bring myself to know why I'd ever hated him.

"I want him but we're not right,"

He could be arrogant and cocky at times but I did want him. I didn't know why but I did. But we werent' right, we never fit. And I'd always known that, deep down. I bit my lip, my heart aching as I turned away and stepped out the door.

"In the darkness I will meet my creators and they will agree that I'm a suffocator,"

The darkness immediately enveloped me and I let out a shaky breath as I felt the fangs begin to protrude from my mouth. I ran a couple of paces away from the motel room before turning back to look one last time, the glint off the Impala catching my eye.

"I'm sorry if I smothered you."

Because I knew in my heart that that was the last time I'd see the Winchesters.