Chapter 27 ~ Come Back, I Still Need You

Episode: Season 2, All Hell Breaks Loose Pt. 2

We reached out to Bobby and he tried to help us but there was just nothing. Ash called though and we headed out to the Roadhouse. But there was no Roadhouse either.

By the time we got there...it was burned down. Bodies and smoke was all that was left. I said a prayer for my fallen friend before we got back into the Impala. Now how would we find Sam? Luckily, it didn't take long to figure out how to find him, though. Dean had a vision. I don't know how or why but he did. In it, he saw a bell - one that Bobby knew of.

So we headed to a place called Cold Oak. We drove all night to get there and I could feel my anxiety heighten, worrying about Sam. When we finally arrived, we realized it was a deserted town. Bobby lagged slightly behind as Dean and I ran into the town, calling out for Sam. Rain was coming down in buckets, the sky thundering loudly up above. My sneakers sunk in the mud, making squelching sounds every time I picked up my feet.

We turned a corner, flashlights in hand when we finally found him. He was injured and holding his arm but alive, stumbling towards us.

"Sam?" Dean called.

"Dean!" he called back and I smiled.

Suddenly, someone came up behind him. A man holding a knife. It all seemed to happen in slow-motion then. Like the air around me - like time itself - was syrup. Like my feet were made of lead. The man drove the knife into Sam's back and he cried out.

I shouted, running to him as he fell to the ground on his knees. Dean and I ran to him, falling to our knees as well as Bobby tried to chase after the man. But he was gone. The blood on Sam's clothes began to spread and I felt tears welling up in my brown eyes.

"Sam! Sam!" Dean said, trying to hold him up.

"Sam, stay with us," I said, tears threatening to choke me.

"Come here, come here, let me look at you," Dean told him, pressing his hand to the wound.

It came back covered in blood and I looked up at Dean. And for the first time in my life - of all the years I'd known him to look after me and Sam - I realized that Dean couldn't fix this. He couldn't make this better. He'd always been able to - whether it was getting us food when John would forget, fixing the Impala, saving us from anything supernatural. He always took care of us...but he couldn't fix this. Dean pushed Sam back gently, forcing him to meet his gaze.

"Hey, look, look at me. It's not even that bad," he lied and I bit my lip, trying my hardest to keep the tears in.

"Dean-" I started but he shook his head.

"It's not even that bad, alright," he said to me.

"Dean- " I tried again but he ignored me.

"DEAN!" I shouted and this time, he met my gaze, "It is bad... It's really bad..."

Blood dribbled from Sam's lips and a few tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Sammy. Sam!" he called again and I let out a strangled cry.

"Hey, listen to me. We're gonna patch him up, okay? He'll be good as new," he soothed me and I nodded but I didn't believe him.

"Huh? I'm gonna take care of you. I'm gonna take care of you, I got you. It's my job, right? Watch after my pain of a little brother," he tried to smile but it faltered as he held onto Sam, "Sam? Sam? Sam?!"

I looked up and saw that Sam's eyes had closed...and they didn't open again.

"Sammy! Sam!" I said, trying to shake him awake to no avail, "No, no, no, no..."

Dean brought Sam closer, holding him and I rested my cheek on Sam's shoulder as hot tears came in waves. I let out a loud cry of anguish as the weight of everything came down on me then and there. Sam was gone.