• Chapter 8 •

King's Landing was hundreds of miles away from where Rose, Jaime, and Brienne currently were. Brienne eagerly took charge of leading the group, as it was her duty, but she held onto his chains as if she were walking a dog. A week after they had left Robb Stark's camp, the three were barely halfway to their destination, avoiding as many people as they could to protect their identities from those looking to return any bounty the Stark's may have put on them. 

At that moment, Rose followed behind Jaime, trying carefully not to step in the puddles of mud and sticks that surrounded them from the night of rainfall before. Having to sleep in a forest that provided little shelter and even less protection against rain made Rose wonder how none of them have gotten sick yet, or worse, died. Brienne believed it was best for all of them to stay off the King's Road because more travelers would be  frequenting that path. So, they stuck to the grass and the water and the mud to avoid detection. Rose couldn't argue with Brienne's logic and she was intent on bringing the both of them to King's Landing alive.

 Brienne led them to  a river that would halt all the walking and they would sail as close to King's Landing as they possibly could. The area in which they happened to be traveling was the cross section of many different rives that eventually led to the great sea that few Westerosi's choose to travel on. Everything they needed was in Westeros, so there was no reason to sail to far off lands unless it was to conquer a different people. The closer they got to the river larger trees found themselves imbedded in the swampy landscape and what was left of their shoes were becoming stuck in the mud. But the poor outdoor conditions weren't driving Brienne and Rose crazier by the minute, it was Jaime's non-stop talking. 

"It's a long way to King's Landing. Might as well get to know one another, well Lady Brienne. Have you known many men?" Jaime asked, which caused Rose's eyes to go wide. Brienne never responded, not even a flinch. Rose found his question to be quiet repugnant, especially because it was none of his concern. He was simply going crazy from the lack of interaction from Brienne. Brienne knew men like him and who they truly were and she wasn't willing to give into him and his taunts now. 

"I suppose not. Women? Horses?" Jaime was quickly pulled down by the side of the river by Brienne. Rose thought Brienne had given into the taunts and his jests but alas, Brienne turned to her and nods her head toward the bridge, signaling the presence of someone else.  There, Rose spotted what Brienne saw and her suspicions were correct. 

"I didn't mean to give offense, My Lady. Forgive me." Jaime half-heartily apologized. 

"Your crimes are past forgiveness, Kingslayer." Brienne shot back. 

"Why do you hate me so much? Lady Tyrell doesn't. Have I ever harmed you?" 

"You've harmed others. Those you were sworn to protect, the weak, the innocent. And I am not like Lady Tyrell. I do not forgive highborn lords who have everything handed to them. I do not forgive those who betray their family name or kill their own King." Brienne spat. 

"Has anyone ever told you you're as boring as you are ugly?" 

"Jaime, stop it. Don't say anything more." Rose warned him because if he kept talking he would give away their position and the people who were spotted might work for the Starks. Brienne watched carefully as the people slowly left her own sight and she whipped her head around to Jaime and pulled him to his feet in a ruff, brutal manor.

"You will not provoke me to anger." Brienne sneered at him and She moved Jaime closer to the single row boat that sat on the edge of the river. The luck they had not only not being caught but that there was a boat just sitting here for them was remarkable.