• Chapter 30 •

Rose could hear the screams of the men and women and children dying to protect their ladies of the castle

       Rose could hear the screams of the men and women and children dying to protect their ladies of the castle. Once Rose had realized that it was Jaime and the Lannister army coming to take Highgarden, she ran to her grandmothers quarters and waited until it was over. It felt like hours before the screams had stopped when it only must have been one. Rose paced behind Olenna, who was sat in a chair at the large table in her room.
"Rose." Olenna called out to her taking her out of her thoughts and drawing her attention elsewhere.
"Come here." Olenna motioned with her hand for Rose to come close. Rose knelt down next to her chair and Olenna held her hand tightly.
"When they come in here, when he comes in here," she corrected herself.
"Make him take you with."
Rose couldn't believe her grandmother would suggest something like that.
"What?"
"Don't be naive. You know what's going to happen to me. I don't want that for you. We need someone left of House Tyrell and it needs to be you."
"I'm ready to go." Rose could feel the tears welling up in her eyes as her words got caught in her throat.
"Cersei's taken everything from me. There's no reason to live anymore."
"You need to live. There are still reasons to live." 

"My dear, you will carry on the Tyrell name. You will be the one left when this is all over and you need to live for us. For your sister and brother, your father, and for me. He will come and I don't want you to see me like that, my girl. Remember me like this, an old tart tongue lady who loves you."

     The two Tyrell's could hear loud movement outside the door. Rose clutched onto Olenna's hand and stood behind her chair, trying to look defiant. The door opened and Jaime, alone, walked in. He shut the door before turning and walking toward them. Rose's eyes were trained on him but he wouldn't meet her gaze. Maybe he felt guilty for everything he's done for Cersei, maybe he's just ashamed he had to be the one to do this. Jaime reached the table and lifted his head to meet the matriarch of the Tyrell's eyes first. Olenna didn't show any pity or sorrow for the man, she only saw a lion taking everything away from her. Jaime lifted his gaze to meet Rose's. His expression never faltered but Rose could tell in his eyes it was something he didn't want to do. Rose clutched tighter onto Olenna's hand.
"It's done?" Olenna asked Jaime in defiance.
"It is." He replied.
"And now the rains weep o'er our halls." Olenna quotes.
"Did we fight well?"
"As well as could be expected."

     This sense of dread came over the room and they knew what was next. Olenna didn't want Rose to see her like that so she turned her head at her terrified granddaughter and for the last time spoke to her.
"My dear, wait outside. No one will harm you, I promise."
Rose could barely keep her composure. She lent down and kissed her grandmother on her cheek and made her way to the door. She opened the door and turned back one more time. Olenna gave her a tiny smile and nodded at her. Rose's tears could be held in anymore. As much as she wanted to be strong and defiant against the Lannisters, they have taken away everything from her.

     Jaime poured a glass of wine and poured the poison in with it. Olenna stares up at him.
"You think your doing the right thing. Coming here to our home and taking all of our things and killing all of us. What good is going to come out of this? Do you think Rose could ever love you again after she knows what you've done? To be honest I don't know what she saw in you in the first place. A man with no honor. I'd say you already killed her by the way your family has murdered mine but when you kill her-"
"I'm not going to kill her." Jaime told her.
"When Cersei kills her, don't think that she would forgive you for it."
      Olenna looked at the goblet and picked it up, downing all the liquid and poison in one taste.
"I'd hate to die like your son. Clawing at my neck, foam and bile spilling from my mouth, eyes blood red, skin purple. It must have been horrible for you, as a kingsguard, as a father. It was horrible enough for me. A shocking scene, not at all what I intended."
Jaime's face was laced with confusion until this point. Olenna had been the one who poisoned Joffrey.
"You see, I had never seen the poison work before. Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me."

Jaime exited the room in a bit of a rage, angered at the fact that he now knew who killed his son. Rose was standing a little ways down the hall, tears still falling silently from her eyes as she tried to stay calm. Jaime approached her and she tried to avoid eye contact.
"Did you know she poisoned Joffrey?"
This was not a question she was expecting and looked at him. She thought about lying and saying no, but she didn't see the point.
"Yes."
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"I thought about it. I thought it would be better if you didn't know. Either way it wouldn't have made a difference."
"Tyrion wouldn't have had to face the trial if you told me. Oberyn wouldn't have died if you told me. My father wouldn't be dead if I knew."
"You really think Cersei would have believed any of us? She wanted Tyrion dead and Tywin would have let it happen."
Jaime grabbed her forearm and pulled her through the castle and down to the courtyard where Bronn and the Tarlys were waiting for him.
"Is everything done?" Jaime asked them.
"Yes, my Lord. All the gold has been taken and all the farms are being harvested. There are no survivors, except you Lady Tyrell." Randall Tarly told him.
Jaime approached his horse, Rose still trailing behind him and he grabbed some rope and tied her hands together.
"Why is this necessary?" She asked him.
"So you don't escape or kill anyone."
"You know I wouldn't do that."
"It's a precaution."

Jaime took Rose to a gold cart, one that was hauling all the stolen money and opened the door.
"You can't put me in here." She told him seriously.
"Lady Tyrell you are an enemy of the crown. As commander of the Queens army, you are a prisoner of the crown. If you would."
Rose huffed at the audacity of the man she once loved. She sat on the bench in the middle of the gold and looked straight at the man. Jaime held onto the door and Rose glared back.

"I'm sorry." And with that Jaime closed the door and darkness closed in around her.