Chapter Ten - Our Baby Boy

Niall’s POV
It’s been three hours since Liam went into labour and I still haven’t seen him. They took him away for something and haven’t explained anything to me. I don’t even know if James was born yet. I called Harry and he was bringing the girls down so I can at least see them.
“Hey Ni.” He smiled coming around the corner.
“Daddy!” Sam yelled running over to me.
“Hey sweetheart. Were you good for Jay?” I asked tickling her making her giggle.
“Yup! Izzie was mean.” She answered.
“What does she mean?” I asked Harry as he sat down.
“Apparently Izzie was a bit loud and angry.” He shrugged.
“Where is she?” I questioned.
“Karen came to get her when you called. She didn’t want to come to the hospital. Isn’t Karen supposed to be here?” He asked back.
“She was going to come. I don’t understand why Izzie is so upset about having a brother. We’re still going to love her.” I sighed sitting down too. Sam moved to get herself comfortable on my lap before snuggling into me.
“I was worried about that happening with Alfie.” Harry sighed too.
“Alfie? Why him?”
“He was feeling a little bit left out of the family a while ago, actually the day I found out I was pregnant I learnt all about it. I was so worried that he would freak out and be even more upset but he was happy which was good. Maybe Izzie just feels left out too?”
“I don’t know why. With all the tantrums she’s been throwing she’s certainly had our attention.” I sighed.
“Have you not heard anything yet?” He asked.
“Nope. I haven’t even heard if he’s been born or if Liam’s been taken to surgery. They won’t tell me anything and I have no idea why.” I groaned. Suddenly the door opened and Liam’s doctor came out.
“Hello Niall.” She smiled softly.
“Doctor. How’s Liam?” I asked standing up. Sam wiggled her legs and I sat her down before she ran over to Harry.
“He’s stable for now.” She answered.
“Stable? What do you mean stable? He was fine 3 hours ago when he came in. Is something wrong, did something happen?” I panicked.
“Niall there was a few complications. Liam’s body couldn’t handle the stress of the C-section. We got the baby out but Liam collapsed.” She explained. He collapsed? What the fuck happened in there?
“You mean to tell me my husband is lying in there and almost died while I was sitting here doing nothing for 3 hours?! Why couldn’t I have been in there with him?” I yelled.
“Daddy scary me.” Sam whimpered snuggling into Harry.
“I’m sorry baby. It’s ok. Daddy’s just a bit mad at the moment.” I said glaring at the doctor.
“I understand you’re upset Niall but-“
“But nothing! Where is he? Where’s my baby?” I asked seriously.
“Liam’s asleep and your baby is in the NICU.”
“What’s that?” I questioned confused.
“Since the baby was born a month early he needs to be in an incubator to help him develop properly.” She explained.
“So he’s underdeveloped? But you said he would be fine. You said just this morning he could survive being a month early. If he dies I will-“
“Niall!” Harry warned.
“Niall I can guarantee that your baby will not die. This is just because he’s a bit smaller than a normal full 40 week baby. But that doesn’t mean he’s sick or anything.” She said seriously.
“Really?” She nodded and smiled softly.
“I promise.”
“Can I see Liam?” I asked. I needed to make sure he was ok.
“Of course. Would your daughter like to come as well?” She asked back.
“You wanna come and see Daddy princess?” I asked. She nodded happily and scooted off Harry.
“Thanks Haz.” I smiled picking her up.
“It’s fine Ni. Send us a picture of James later.” He smiled. “Bye Sammy.” He waved.
“Bye Bye uncle Hazza.” She waved back. He smiled and walked off as the doctor lead us to see Liam.
“Now Daddy’s going to be asleep sweetheart so we have to be very quiet so we don’t wake him up ok?” I explained.
“Ok quiet for Daddy.” She nodded. I smiled and kissed her cheek. She really was adorable.
“Here we are. Liam could wake up at any time but just make sure he’s easy with his movements because we don’t him popping his stitches.” She smiled again before leaving.
“Daddy.” Sam smiled making grabby hands at him.
“Honey quiet remember.” I warned.
“I’m awake love.” Liam chuckled opening his eyes.
“DADDY!” Sam smiled wider kicking her little legs.
“Hold on Sam.” I laughed placing her on his bed.
“Now be careful sweetie because Daddy has stitches.”
“Stitches?” She said confused.
“Just don’t sit on my belly love.” Liam smiled kissing her head. “Where’s Izzie?” He asked.
“With your mum. Apparently meeting her little brother wasn’t so important to her.” I sighed.
“Oh.” He sighed too. “Have you seen him yet?” He asked again. I’m guessing me meant James.
“No. He’s in an incubator.” I answered.
“What? Why? Is he ok? Why is he in there?” He panicked starting to ramble.
“It’s just to make help him because he was a bit early. He’s a bit smaller than a 40 week baby but the doctor said that was fine. I don’t know if we’re allowed to see him or not.” I shrugged.
“Can you ask for me Nialler? I really want to see him. Before I could I passed out or something. Please?” He pleaded.
“Of course babe. I’ll be right back.” I smiled pecking his cheek. I wandered out into the nurses station and asked if we could visit James. “She said we can but only for about an hour and we have to make sure that we’re all germ free because some of the other babies are sick.” I explained walking back into Liam’s room.
“Oh ok. Can we go now?” He asked already getting out of the bed.
“No not yet Li. The doctor has to come and make sure you’re ok first. We don’t want you getting hurt.” I said seriously.
“But Nialllll.” He whined. “I want to see our baby.”
“I want to see him too love but you need to be checked out before you go anywhere. I’m being serious Liam.”
“Fine. But they better hurry up!” He said slumping back into the bed.
“They’ll be here when they get here Li. Don’t stress about it.” I chuckled.
“Daddy see baby?” Sam questioned lying her head on Liam’s chest.
“Yeah honey. We’re going to see James soon.” Liam smiled kissing her hair.
“Are you excited Sammy?” I asked sitting beside the bed.
“Yep.” She nodded.
“Liam, it’s nice to see you awake.” The doctor smiled coming in.
“Can we see him yet?” He asked straight away.
“Soon. I just need to check you out and get you into a wheelchair first.” She laughed making him groan loudly.
“I want to see him already. Can’t you bring him in here?” He questioned.
“I’m sorry Liam. James has to stay in the NICU, even though there is nothing wrong with him, he still needs to stay there.” She said sadly.
“Oh, ok.” He sighed. She started asking if he felt ok and how bad his pain was before checking his stiches and getting him into a wheelchair. “I’m so excited!” He smiled widely as she pushed him down the hallway. I followed next to him holding Sam on my hip.
“Baby!” She giggled kicking her little legs excitedly.
“Now we have to be really quiet when we go inside because all the other babies are sleeping.” Liam said quietly to her.
“Oh ok Daddy.” She nodded. “Me be ssh.”
“Good girl sweetie.” I smiled.
“I’m going to need you to wash your hands well please.” The doctor said stopping outside of the NICU. We nodded and Liam washed his hands while I helped with Sam and mine. She smiled and opened the door slowly. The sound of beeping machines was all I could hear and it was started to freak me out. All the babies there were tiny and barely breathing, it broke my heart seeing them all like that. “Here he is. James Payne.” The doctor smiled stopping at a little crib.
“Oh.” Liam gasped. He looked normal. He was a bit on the small side but other than that he looked perfect. “Can we hold him?” He asked.
“You can but just let me get a chair and his birth certificate, you guys have to sign it.” She laughed walking off.
“He looks perfect.” I smiled.
“Baby perfect.” Sam repeated.
“Yeah honey. He’s perfect. Can you see him Sam?” I asked. She nodded peering into the crib.
“He looks fine. I wonder why he’s in here?” Liam thought out loud.
“I don’t know babe, but he’s beautiful. You did an amazing job. I’m so proud of you.” I smiled kissing him sweetly.
“You did half you idiot.” He chuckled.
“So, you carried him.” I smiled again.
“I’m back. Here we are Niall. I brought you a chair.” The doctor chuckled sitting it down for me.
“Thanks.” I said placing Sam on it.
“Now, we need some signatures and baby James needs a middle name.” She said handing me the papers we needed to sign.
“What do you think Li?” I asked. “What’s his middle name going to be?”
“Well it can’t be one of ours.” He laughed. “How about Edward? Harry’s name.” He suggested.
“I like it. Edward it is.” I smiled. The doctor took the papers and wrote his middle name down before we signed them.
“Perfect. Now you may hold your baby.” She smiled putting the papers aside. She opened the side of the crib and gently got him out. Since he didn’t have any wires or anything attached to him she just passed him to Liam. They had dressed him in a small blue onesie and matching beanie.
“Aw. Hey little guy.” He smiled widely, looking down at him. “He’s beautiful.” He sniffled. James let out a little yawn and opened his eyes, they were blue. “He looks so much like you babe.”
“Only my eyes Li, the rest is all you.” I laughed looking at him too.
“He’s my brother?” Sam asked looking up at me.
“Yeah honey. He’s your little brother. Isn’t he cute.” I smiled. She nodded and held one of his little hands.
“He’s grabbing me!” She giggled.
“He’s saying he loves you sweetheart.” Liam smiled too.
“I love you too James.” She said leaning to kiss his head.
“I love you Ni.” Liam said looking at me. “Thank you for everything.”
“I haven’t done anything Li, we did it together and I love you too.” I said kissing him. Everything turned out well in the end, well besides Izzie not being here. Hopefully she’ll come around.