13

Michael couldn't sleep at all. He was tossing and turning, looking at his watch ever so often.

It wasn't a normal watch, no. It signalled the time Michael was going to meet his soulmate. Everybody got such a watch when they turned eighteen, and normally people met their soulmate when they were nineteen.

But with Michael, it was different. His watch had indicated that he'd have to wait more than four years before he'd meet his, which was a lot longer compared to most people.

He had tried everything to meet him sooner. He had even ditched the idea of having a soulmate at one point, but with all his friends finding theirs, Michael just found himself longing for his soulmate even more. Everybody told him he just had to be patient, and when his watch would reach zero, the perfect man would appear in front of him.

Today would be the day. Michael's watch read 18 hours, which meant he'd meet his soulmate at seven pm. The blue haired boy was nervous, to say the least, and couldn't sleep. Who was going to be his soulmate? Where would he meet him? What was he going to be like?

All these questions swarmed through Michael's head. He sighed as he stood up, walking to the bathroom to drink some water.

"Mikey?" his best friend Ashton came in, looking sleepy.

"Can't sleep," Michael just answered.

"It'll be fine, Mikey, I promise. I mean, look at Luke and me, we're really happy, the soulmate system works," the curly haired boy said, a small smile on his lips at the mention of his boyfriend's name.

Luke and Ashton were each other's soulmate, and they were perfect for each other. They had met two years ago. Luke worked in a bakery which sold cupcakes that Michael happened to love, and he took Ashton there at one point. Ashton didn't want to, but he let Michael drag him along. Let's just say, the moment he made eye-contact with Luke, he fell in love with him.

Michael envied them. He wanted something like their relationship.

"Yeah, I know, but I'm still nervous," Michael whispered.

"I understand. But you know, in 18 hours, you'll have your soulmate standing in front of you, and everything will fall in their right place, and everything will be okay," Ashton reassured his best friend.

"Ashy? Ash?" a voice sounded from the hallway.

"I'm coming, sweetheart!" Ashton called back.

"Look, today you're going to find the person you'll love with your whole heart, just like I found Luke," Ashton said, walking out of the bathroom.

Michael sighed as he looked at himself in the mirror. There were dark bags under his eyes and his hair was a mess, who would want to be his soulmate when he looked like this? He took a glass of water, drank it and went back to bed, hoping he'd get some sleep.

Michael was woken up by his phone ringing. He looked at the time, it was 2 pm already. Michael gasped, in 5 hours he'd meet his soulmate.

The blue haired boy groaned and took his phone, frowning when it said Luke was calling.

"Hello?" he said, voice a little bit raspy from just waking up.

"Hi Mikey!" Luke said excitedly, "I'm working, but I kind of have a problem. We ran out of almonds, and that's a problem because I need to make a wedding cake and they asked for a lot of almonds, because apparently the wife absolute loves those. Normally I'd ask Ashton this but he's at work, can you please pick up some at the store? You don't need to pay for it, just say it's for the bakery and they'll put it on the bill."