15

When Calum was five years old, his mother took him to the playground. Calum had the time of his life, until some guy pushed him over in the sand.

Calum didn't want to cry, but he had gotten hurt, so tears started rolling down his cheeks.

He sat there in the sand, crying for a few minutes, until a boy who seemed around his age came up to him, a frown on his face.

"Why are you crying?" the boy asked in concern, sitting down next to Calum.

"Somebody pushed me, and now I have a booboo," Calum sniffed, pointing at his knee, where a red scratch could be seen.

The boy who Calum didn't know the name of gasped, looked around, and then put his head closer to Calum's knee. Before the Maori could process what was happening, the boy pressed a light kiss on the scratch.

"Why did you do that?"

"My mummy says that kisses make booboos better. Is it working?" the boy asked, eyes full of hope.

Calum thought for a bit before slowly nodding, realising his knee did hurt a little less.

"Yeah, I think your mumma's right."

"Mummas are always right!"

"Mine told me to never talk to strangers..." Calum said, remembering what Joy always said before they went out.

"My name's Michael, but you can call me Mikey. Now I'm not a stranger anymore!" the sandy blonde exclaimed, an excited smile on his face.

"I'm Calum!"

The two boys perked up at someone shouting Calum's name.

"I have to go, mumma's calling. I hope to see you again Mikey, thanks for helping me with my booboo," Calum said while standing up.

"No problem! I will always help you whenever you have a booboo!"

"Promise?" Calum said, looking Michael straight in the eye.

"Pinky promise," Michael said, linking his finger with Calum's.

"Okay," Calum grinned, "see you later Mikey!"

"Bye!"

-

When Calum was seven years old, a knew kid transferred to his school. The Maori boy remembered him, he kissed his knee better.

"Mikey?" he asked from behind him shyly during playtime.

The boy turned around with a confused frown, that turned into a big smile after seeing who talked to him.

"Calum!" he exclaimed, running forward and putting his arms around the dark haired boy.

Calum was taken aback from the sudden hug, but wrapped his arms around the pale boy nonetheless.

"I'm so happy! I thought I'd have no friends at all, but now you're here! You'll be my friend, right?" Michael asked.

"Of course! We can be best friends forever!" Calum laughed.

"Cool! I never had a best friend before, I'm so excited!" Michael said, a huge smile on his face.

The two boys talked all day long, getting to know each other more. Calum really liked Michael, and was glad he was his best friend now.

But then, when Michael was telling a story, he got a little bit too excited, and slapped Calum in the face because of his wild hand gestures.

"Oh no! I'm so sorry Calum! I-I didn't mean to hurt you. I understand you don't want to be friends anymore, I'm sorry," Michael said, looking sad.