NINE; PICNIC

The beauty of the forest comforted Harrison as he and his family strolled through the nut brown forest of Central Park. The twigs were crunching under everyone's feet as they now were in the picnic area of the park.

"I wanna lay here!" Kathleen shouted at her parents as her pig tails bounced in the air as she made her way to a spot right by the sparkling blue lake.

"But that's right by the lake, Kathleen!" Justin told his younger sister taking all the excitement out of the four year old.

"What's wrong with a lake?" Harrison asked his two children once he made his way to them carrying the basket with all their treats that included sandwiches, fruits, and a apple pie for desert.

"It could break any second!" He outsmarted his father. For Justin was right the lake had been frozen all winter long.

"It's alright, it won't break anytime soon." Carrie told Justin helping Harrison out as she made her way to the group holding Zac's hand.

"If you say so.." he snickered as he laid out the checkered blanket on the forest green grass before Kathleen jumped on it quickly bringing the basket with her as she opened the basket.

"Hey, not yet!" Justin shot at his sister once she had a hold of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

"He's right sweetheart, we have to get everything situated." Harrison said as he sat on the blanket joining his family before setting all the plates out.

"What does sit-tua-ted mean?" Kathleen said titling her head at her father as Carrie gave a small giggle before covering her mouth.

"It means he has to get everything set up." Carrie told the curious girl as she brought her into her lap.

Once Harrison got everything set up like the plates all spread out over the blanket they all said a small prayer before they all dug in.

After everything was cleaned Kathleen sat up and asked, "Can we go play?" To her father who looked at Carrie.

"Yes, but be careful!" Carrie warned her as she got up and ran to the bridge nearby with Justin and Zac following behind her.

"They are cute kids." Carrie told Harrison as she leaned back onto Harrison's chest as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"They really are." He said as he watched them now go onto the bridge as Carrie's eyes fluttered shut.

- - -

"Alright time to go." Harrison told his two kids that were still awake as they both groaned helping him pick up plates and putting them in the basket.

"What time is it?" Carrie asked Harrison as she now sat up looking around finding herself in a park suddenly freezing from the cold air.

" 'Bout 4:30." He told her glancing down at his watch she had bought for him last Christmas

"Mom, there's one more gift!" Justin exclaimed as he reached under the Christmas tree grabbing a small box topped with a bow.

"Is it mine?!" Kathleen asked Carrie as she looked at both her and the gift.

"No, baby it says it's for daddy." She told her as she looked at the tag that hanged delicately on the box.