Chapter 8: Bright Lights

Picture of Luke on the side ---->

I wake up with a blinding white light in my eyes and a bed under me. Where am I? I just remember when I screamed at Jade and then everything disappeared.

I'm not dead am I? It would explain the white light in my eyes and the blackness after the impact. Right?

I shield my eyes and hear a sigh of relief on one side of the bed. I close my eyes to avoid the light and turn to one side seeing Jade in crutches. She smiles at me and hugs me.

"I am so sorry. I just woke up and the doctor's told me I could come see you. I am so, so, so sorry Claire."

"It's fine, the driver was drunk... How long have I been out?" I asked as an after-thought.

"About twelve hours. Hey doctor-" She says but gets cut off with the door flying open and someone rushing into the room, kneeling besides me and grabbing my hand.

Luke...

"Are you okay? What happened? Well I know what happened but- nevermind... Are you okay?" He asks full of concern. I look at Jade asking if she told him and she nods while smiling.

"Yes, Luke I'm fine..." I say, letting go of his hand. Where's Riley? If Luke is here, doesn't that mean that he shold be here to. He could put aside the hatred for once and be in the same room as Luke if his 'girlfriend' is hurt.

"Well, your foot says otherwise..." He said pointing to it. I look down and see that my foot is in a boot and my toes are a little swollen, "Anyway, I'm sorry for leaving, I should've maned up and stayed. He just put me in an awkward place and I was afraid of doing something to him-"

"Its fine Luke."

"No it's not. He was right. I take a girl and dump them off somewhere. It's what a player like me does..." He says, "I'm happy you and I are... friends." He says the last part quietly. I had to strain my ears to hear. I hug him and he hugs me back.

"I'm happy we are friends too." I say into his ear. The doctor comes in and tells everyone I need rest. Luke exits through the door after protesting and saying he should wait and sit on the chair in case something bad happens and Jade leaves to go back into her room across the hall. Shortly after I climb back under the covers and go to sleep. Finally, peace at last.

***

The next day, I get a flower from Luke when I wake up on the table next to the hospital bed with a note attached to it asking if I wanted to go out for pizza. I smile to myself and the nurse comes in. I get out of the bed and the nurse checks me out of the hospital. I have my parents come and drive Jade home and drive me back to the house. I walk into the house and turn on the Tv, propping my foot up on the ottoman.

Lets see, what movies are on today... Nemo, Bedtime Stories, Premium Rush-

I am Number 4.

I flick the movie on and watch. I am a total fan of this series. The movie isn't as good as the books but I can't resist. John Smith as Alex Pettyfer, Sam Goode as Callan McAuliffe, and Number 6 as Teresa Palmer. I watch the movie until I hear a knock at the door.

"Mom! Can you get that? Kinda crippled here..." I shout. Footsteps rush down the stairs and the door creaks open. Footsteps enter through the door and into the room I am in. I feel hands put on my shoulders and I turn around, completely forgetting that Luke and I were going to go out of lunch.

"Hey Claire, what movie is this?" Luke asks with curiosity. He must be the only kid I know who hasnt read this book, but then again, he has girls coming over almost every week so his hands are probably full juggling all his hobbies.

"I am Number 4..." I say back while chewing on a piece of popcorn. He reaches foward and grabs a piece of popcorn and pops it in his mouth. I tried smacking his hand away, but he was to quick for me. After chewing the piece of popcorn and grabbing ten more pieces, he comes around the couch and picks me up, having one arm under my legs and one around my shoulders. I let out a gasp and try squirming around but he wont loosen his grip.

"Claire, would you calm down? I'm not going to do anything, I am just carrying you to the car..." He says laughing. Oh, this is so not funny. If I slip from his grasp, he's in so much trouble.

"I can walk you know. I have a boot on." I say still trying to find a way for him to let me down.

"You can? Oh well, I'm carrying you." He says, "Princess..." He adds as an after thought. We exit through the door and he carries me to the car. He places me inside and buckles me up, holding down buttons to move the chair backwards to make room for my foot and move the seat so I am laying back a little. He shuts the door and climbs into the drivers seat. After about five minutes of driving and the constant flash back to the crash, we make it and pull in to a parking spot. He climbs out and I attemp to open the car door and to climb out, but I can't. I don't feel like having to jump on it after jumping out of the car.

"Can't do it can you?" Luke says when he's right in front of me. He wraps his arms around me from the front and sets me down carefully. When my feet touch the ground, I notice that we are pressed up against each other, stomach to stomach, and he's looking down into my eyes. He bits his lip and I turn away, stepping back, "sorry..." he mutters and we walk into the shop, with distance between us.

What just happened?