Chapter 9: Open Your Eyes!

When Luke and I exited through the pizza restaurant, we went back to my house to study.

Our little date wasn't very warm either. After his stunt, it was awkward. We couldn't look at each other in the eye for more than five seconds or have a long conversation. We tried, but it didn't work. Luke has been saying that he has a suprise for me back at his house that he needs to pick up, but whenever I ask what it is, he doesn't budge.

"Why won't you tell me?!" I whine. Lets just say, I am not a patient person.

"Because its a surprise..." He rejects back. Ugh! Its like speaking a different language with him.

"Then why did you tell me?" I say back. It's like Christmas. You see all the presents under the tree but you can't see what is inside. If you can't have them, what's the point of putting them out?

"It's fun seeing you begging..." He smirks and laughs. I roll my eyes at his attempted flirt. I mutter back 'perv' which just makes him laugh back.

"You know, it's not good to get a girl mad..." I say for his childish behavior.

"But that's when all the temptations come in." He turns to wink at me while I yell 'eyes on the road'. I don't feel like getting in another car crash. He drops me off at my house and walks me up to the door. Apparently, Luke doesn't want me to even see the bag of the item saying 'it will give hints'. I swear, he's just doing this to annoy me. I sit down on the couch, after him carrying me inside and plopping me down. I turn on the Tv and flick through the channels. I must've pressed the button fifty times when theres a knock at the door. I yell 'come in!' since it's not locked and in walks Luke, with a body length bag.

"Is this the part when you kill me?" I ask, slightly sarcastic and slightly scared.

"No, this is the part when you say," Luke starts, then clearing his voice says in a mocking tone, "'Oh Luke, what is in the wonderful bag?" He smirks and walks over to the couch, laying it on the arms rest.

"Yeah, about that, I am not saying that..." I smile back. He takes the bag and slowly starts unzipping it. He looks at me and smirks, seeing my anxious expression and goes even slower than before. I turn and give him a death glare.

"Patience, princess..." He says. I can't take it anymore. I put my hand over his and pull the zipper all the way down showing the most beautiful thing in the world. It was a lacey neck with beautiful diamonds. Floor length with a lacey back. It was cut so it would show off some leg and a heart neckline. It was a white dress that would look perfect with the right earrings. It was beautiful, absolutely perfect.

"H-How much did this cost y-you?" I ask Luke while openly drooling over the dress.

"Four." I says, I look at him curiously.

"Four dollors? What did you do? Buy this on Ebay?" I questioned. He laughs at me like I was joking.

"Four hundred... Four hundred and eighty to be exact. So about five hundred." He says like its no big deal, "Junior prom is two months away so I figured. You like it?" He asks me. I bulge my eyes out at the price and stare at him like he's lost his mind. He didn't need to buy me this. I mean it's beautiful, but so expensive. We aren't even a thing. We aren't dating. If anything he's just trying to put me under his spell.

"I love it, but why did you spend all that money on me. I don't like when people do that... I fell needy when that happens." I say to him, still admiring the beauty of the dress. It's true what I said, too. I hate when people spend unnecessary money on me. I would it rather be them taking me out for a picnic in the park or at the beach on a warm day.

"When I saw it, I thought of you..." He said turning to me and blushing. I smile back and look back at the dress. I feel the material and touch the diamonds. I play with the lace and trace the neckline.

"I am sorry but, I can't take this. It doesn't feel right." I say to him, having my eyes start to water when I see his expression.

"Why not? Don't think that this got me broke, Claire. I don't care about losing some money because of one dress." He says back, trying to get me to take the dress.

"I can't."

"What? You think this is part of my trick? You think I am just doing this for you to fall for me and then I would brake your heart. Because I can assure you that is what I am not doing. If anything that is the only thing I am not doing..." He says.

"That what are you doing, Luke? I have a boyfriend you know..." I say and he instantly clenches his fists and jaw. His eyes darken and his face gets redder.

"What? The boyfriend that didn't come to see you that day in the hospital? The boyfriend who abandoned you? Is that the certain boyfriend, or do you have another one that I don't know of?" He yells.

"Are you calling me a cheater!?" I yell back at him.

"No I am calling you a person who isn't opening her eyes, Claire." He stands up and stuffs his hands in his pockets.

"You have no right to say that! I'm not the one that strings girls along and then leaves them, Luke! And, yes I do think this is apart of your little game! Everything you do is apart or your little game."

"That is not true!"

"Yes Luke it is, why are you here right now then? Why did you just decide to start hanging out with me and being nice to me? You date more than half the girls in the grade and now you latch on to me and you expect me not to think what I think?" I scream.

"Whatever, Claire. Think what you think." He says and starts storming towards the door.

"I am absolutely positive, Luke, that you can find another girl who is prettier than me and is still innocent and take her too. It's what you always do." I yell and he opens the door and slams it behind him. I sit back down on the couch, seeing that I stood up at some point, and put my head in my hands.

I let the tears flow out.

Was he right about Riley not caring?

Picture of dress on the side ---->