9

Winter break had come to an end, and today was the first day back at school in the new year. I hadn't seen Jason since we made up, and I couldn't wait to see him, even if it had only been a week. So when I woke up this morning, even though I was deadly tired, I got up with a little happiness for once in my life. I was going to see Jason. Even the thought made me the tiniest bit happier.

I had delicately planned out my outfit the night before. I practically planned my whole day, which was a strange thing for me to do. I was squirming in my seat up until music. I had apologized to the twins for being right this whole time, and they teased me for being so anxious. 

When music finally came I was practically bouncing in my seat. 

"Marlee, chill." Ethan joked.

"I can't, I'm excited to see him."

"You saw him a week ago." Grayson reasoned.

"That's one week too many for me." I laughed as I finally saw him enter the room.

"Hey, Marlee." Jason greeted me.

"Hey, Jason." I said back, Jason being in my presence suddenly calming me down.

"How the..."

"Why are you so calm now?" The twins said at the same time. A confused look crossed onto Jason's face. I kicked both boys on their legs, and smiled.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Jason just shrugged before getting his stuff out for this class since it was starting. Soon enough music was over, and almost all my other classes as well. I was in study hall now with Jason by my side as always in the library. He sat quietly beside me, watching me work.

"Done." I threw my pencil down and turned to Jason. Now he would begin talking to me. He knew not to mess with me when I worked. 

"I wanted to ask you something." Jason started.

"Ask away." I began to pack up my stuff.

"Do you want to go to that one beach we went to before after school?" He scratched the back of his neck.

"Sure." I agreed and he let out a sigh of relief.

"Did you think I was going to say no?" I questioned.

He laughs slightly. "I don't know." The bell rings and we get up and begin to travel by foot to the beach.

We walked side by side, our hands touching ever so often. We sat in the sand, near the same spot we had that one night almost a month ago. I laughed at a joke he had just said but then he turned serious and looked me in my eyes. 

"Marlee, what are we now?" He questioned.

"Shouldn't I be the one asking that?" He rolls his eyes. "Then go ahead, ask the question yourself." He says with a chuckle.

"Jason, what are we?" I say and search his eyes like he did with mine. He sighs, but pulls me into a hug. 

"What do you want us to be?" He breathes into my shoulder.

"I think you know very well what I want us to be." I pull back from the hug and look away, cheeks aflame.

He holds my chin and turns my face back to look at him. 

"Marlee, will you be my girlfriend?" 

"Yes." I answer him, almost immediately, and giggle. He throws his head back and laughs.

"You don't know how happy you make me." He confesses.

"Then show me." I breathe out, and our lips collide. 

This kiss was not soft, it was full of passion, yet still sweet. I knit my fingers into his hair, as his arms wrap around my waist, pulling me even closer. I pull away and breathe in air, out of breath because, dang, kissing Jason took my breath away.

He smiles brightly at me, but then it drops. 

"Jason?" I whisper to him, but he's not looking at me. He grabs my hand and pulls me up. He drags me behind him as we walk back to the streets.

"Jason!" I shout as I look behind me.

"I know." He replies and continues walking away from the man in all black who was behind us. The man laughs out loud for whatever reason and turns to leave.

"Who was that?" I say as soon as I can't see the man anymore.

"Don't worry about it." Jason doesn't even turn to face me, he doesn't even slow his pace.

"Please, don't be like this." I stop walking, but he's still tugging me. I don't budge and he finally turns around.

"Marlee, both of us are in danger right now, we need to go." 

"But Jason-" He throws me over his shoulder.

"Gosh dang it."

"This isn't over." I shot at him

"Trust me babe, I know." He replies back and continues walking at a quick pace.

Eventually we reach his house and he carries me up to his room. I sit on his bed with him, but leave some distance since I have to let him know that I'm upset at him.

"Did he say anything to you?" I interrogate.

"Well..."He trails off.

"Jason McCann." I cross my arms over my chest.

"He mouthed 'We're back.'but that was it, I swear." Jason runs a hand through his hair.

"Okay."

"Okay? Just okay?" He gives me a questioning look.

"Did you want to argue some more with me, Jason?" He lets out a laugh.

"Nah, I'm good. You're pretty feisty when you're upset, babygirl" He playfully pulls me closer towards him.

I laugh and he kisses my forehead as we lay there enjoying each others company until I have to go home.

---

When I walk into my house my mother calls out to me.

"There was a package for you, I left it on your desk." So I went to go retrieve the package.

I open the door to my bedroom and see a medium box laying on my desk. I sit and begin to cut the box open. I see pieces of paper inside. I realize that they're photos, and I pick them up.

I turn one over. 

It's a picture of Jason and I together at the beach that night when we fought.

"I thought we were alone that night?"

I pick up another photo.

The time when Jason and I started the bet.

Then another.

Just now when Jason and I were alone in each others' arms.

"What the..?"

There's one more photo.

It's of Jason's dad.

I turn the photo around and see writing.

I drop the photo.

"You can't kill someone who's already dead."