Chapter 3

Two days later

"How are you holding up in there?" Y/N jolted from her sleep, as her eyes glanced over to Peter standing by the doorway, a small bowl of something in one hand, his back leaning against the door. "If you count sleeping on a brick as 'holding up well', I'm doing wonderfully." Y/N spoke, her E/C eyes filled with irritation and annoyance.

Peter looked at the female carefully: her H/C hair was much messier, as well as her clothes looked strewn together and looked to be almost falling apart. He saw the visible bags underneath her eyes, suggesting that her sleep was too uncomfortable for her.

He sighed, walking closer towards her, the bowl was placed on the side beside her, as she looked down into the content of a strange brown liquid with what looked like noodles. "I thought you might've been feeling hungry." he continued, moving to sit opposite her on a metal box, filled with some of the hidden bombs that Rocket had made and was banned.

Y/N eyed the bowl carefully, before slowly taking the bowl into her free hand and bringing the spoon to her lips, tasting the broth. She was too hungry to care, chugging down the food too quick to realise.

"Didn't expect you to be a chugger." Peter spoke after a moment of silence, "Well, what can I say?" Y/N wiped her bottom lip, "I've had a bit of practice in some bars." There was some more silence for a while, as Y/N finally noticed the Walkman attached to his belt, the question bubbling in her mind.

"Where'd you get the Walkman from? You steal it?" She asked. Peter paused, fidgeting with it, a look that showed that he was contemplating on whether to answer or not. "I got it from my mother when I was young... She wanted me to have the same love for music as she did." He responded slowly.

Y/N watched him carefully, digesting his words and also from earlier, 'I know the feeling'. Finally... it all made sense.

"You're... human too, aren't you?" She asked. He looked at her, a smile on his face, "How else would I know Blue Swede, Hooked on a Feeling or Come and Get Your Love, Redbone?"

"Hooked on a Feeling? Redbone? Dude, you're old." He chuckled, "How old are you, like, 15?" If Y/N could burst out laughing, she would've done it there, "Plus 10." Peter nodded, "That's still young."

"Well, at least I know the 70s and 80s songs, not like most people. The 90s were more nostalgic though." She said smugly, making Peter laugh, "I don't think I've met someone out there who's known who Redbone was." Peter said.

"What... are you thinking of gaining trust from me by enjoying music?" Y/N asked. Peter paused, "What can I say... the 70s was more nostalgic than the 90s." He grinned, making Y/N roll her eyes.

"What the hell are you talkin' about?" The two turned towards the door, seeing the familiar raccoon standing by the door, instead, he carried a bunch of gadgets, tools and trinkets in his paws.

Peter coughed awkwardly, standing to his feet, "You on duty now Rocket?" He asked the small creature. "Why the hell would I be down here Quill? Besides, Gamora wanted me to come down, she wanted you to see her. Something about not cleanin' up."

"Pfft." The two turned towards the H/C haired female in chains after hearing the small escape of a chuff that came out of her mouth. She didn't respond, since the glares she was sent from Star-Lord made her huff, turning to stare out of the window.

"Whatever, have fun," Peter said, leaving the room, the room became incredibly quiet. Y/N turned back to see the creature glaring at her, his eyes narrowed, and she could slightly see the sides of his gums flared up, showing his sharp canines.

"What?" She asked, raising her arms up as he huffed, walking to jump onto the box, the trinkets he was holding cluttering to his side. "I don't know why the other idiots decided to take you with us. I'm tryin' to think of a way of getting you back after shoving me down a flight of stairs."

Y/N watched amused, yet her E/C eyes showed some slight irritation, "You were the one who showed me to the ground."

"Whatever." He didn't look at her, more interested in his tools and items as Y/N watched his small paws work too quickly, she couldn't keep up with him: whatever he was making, he had both a passion and talent in it.

It was silent for a while, Y/N watching in awe as he created small items and gadgets from just small scraps and bolts. After a few minutes, she realised she had watched him create a small bomb from scrap.

She felt awkward for staring, but he hadn't realised at all, only caring at the small bomb he had made. She even coughed, in hopes that he would look up, but he didn't even flinch. "So... your name's Rocket, huh?"

He paused in his movements, before brown eyes met her E/C ones, as she felt surprised by how brown they could be, and also by how neutral his facial expressions looked: no scowl or snarl.

He rolled his shoulders back, he had been looking at her with an expression she couldn't read, before he looked back to his invention, "The one and only. Ain't nothing like me, 'cept me."

She rolled her eyes, watching him once again, "What's that you're making?" She asked, "A bomb."

"Why a bomb?"

"Why do you keep askin' so many questions?" She smirked, finding it enjoyable to get underneath his skin, his ears twitching in slight annoyance. "I just thought you might want help."

He met her gaze again, filled with either frustration or curiosity, it was hard to read, "And why would I want your help?"

She grinned, leaning forward, "Well, I thought you might've wanted to know some new ideas you could include to them." She crossed her legs, "Like how to freeze your enemies on the spot, or grow vines to wrap around them." She mused.

His eyes widened in wonder and what looked like delight, before he coughed, looking away, "If I wanted to grow vines, Groot would've helped me." But he kept quiet, the idea struck him, imagining the pure fun and delight he would feel if you could use that to bring more enjoyment into something he absolutely loved.

From outside, there was a crash, "YOU'RE NOT MAKING BOMBS AGAIN ARE YOU?!" The voice sounded like Peter's, as he came bounding back into the room again, almost skidding into the wall.

"Rocket, what did I say about making bombs on my ship?"

"It's technically our  ship Star-Munch."

"That doesn't matter! What you gonna use it for?"

"Maybe blow up another moon."

"No. More. Making. Bombs."

"You just wanna suck the joy out of everything." Rocket rolled his eyes, unaware of the amused look Y/N was showing at the antics, "And don't give him any ideas!" Peter pointed a finger towards the H/C haired female, before muttering some things before leaving the room once again.

Rocket jumped down, walking with his new bomb to the door, "Think about it." He stopped, hearing Y/N speak again, as he glanced back towards her, "The amount of fun you could have, you could mark your name across the whole galaxy."

Rocket studied her, from her smirk to her E/C eyes glimmering from the dim light, he caught himself staring at her for too long, shaking his head, "Whatever." He turned back and walked out of the room, leaving Y/N on her own to her thoughts.

A/N:

I live for the simple things, like Reader x Rocket moments!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, sorry it was shorter than the other ones. See you in the next one!

-Mockingbirdsdontsing