Chapter 8

"What are you fixing?" Y/N looked up from her spot at the table, fixing at her weapons, fixing her gun mostly as she looked over at Peter as he sat at the cockpit. 

"Nothing..." She spoke quietly, as Gamora turned from where she sat in the other seat beside Peter, her eyes narrowed as she glared at her briefly, before tutting and turning back round again.

Y/N sighed, before continuing with her work, unaware of a pair of curious beady eyes staring at her movements.

"I am Groot." Rocket jolted, glaring hastily back at the small tree sitting beside him on the floor in the corner. "I'm not starin'!" Rocket whispered/shouted, his eyes darting back carefully to see if she wasn't looking.

"I am Groot..." Groot sighed heavily at his friend, even though Rocket was the only one who could understand him, Groot meant no harm in trying to anger or upset him, "What do you mean I should talk to her about makin' weapons?!" 

He was mortified, mostly that he hesitated to even go out of his way to talk to her about creating or modifying weapons, and the fact that he was too stubborn to even lower his own pride.

"I am Groot." The tree reassured softly, smiling in an attempt to encourage him, as Rocket sighed heavily, standing to his height and slowly making his way over to the H/C haired female.

Upon knowing the presence of someone near her, she looked up, being greeted by Rocket Raccoon standing there hesitantly, "Can I help you?" Her tone asked otherwise that she was unsure of why he was here, and that her alone time to work was interrupted.

"You said you would help me with modifyin' my guns," he chucked his favourite small gun onto the table, "show me what you do." Y/N sat paused in her position, before a wide grin enveloped on her face.

"Why, you can't do it yourself?" To this, Rocket snarled, huffing as he crossed his arms, "Please... I would've asked Star-Munch by now if I so wanted." to which he earned a quiet "Hey!" from the cockpit.

"Well, what exactly do you want me to do?" Rocket paused for a moment, thinking to the things he had seen that she could do with her weapons, "Your gunshot out a beam of vines, I want that," He grinned at the thought, "but better."

"Better? In what way?" Y/N leaned back in her chair, confused by his idea. This earned a small chuckle from Rocket, as he jumped onto a nearby box, his small furry legs swinging for a second before stopping, "Better in any way that you can show me. I wanna see something that can be useful in a fight." 

She paused, thinking for a moment, "I thought you said that if you wanted a gun that could shoot out vines, you would've used Groot for help." She smirked, as Rocket snarled.

"Are you gonna help me or not?" She let out a 'tsk' sound, "Alright, calm down buddy." She looked to the closest trinkets and gadgets surrounding her before a plan came to mind.

 "I've got something. Something that I've never done before, but it could be useful if we need extra backup." She beamed, gathering items in her hands as she took his gun, and begun opening up the parts to look inside.

"Whatever could that be then?" Rocket asked casually, leaning his arm on the table as he leaned his head into it, "Just watch the master at work." Y/N laughed quietly, as she continued her work, Rocket watching quietly by her side.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

"They've been extremely quiet back there," Gamora spoke to Peter from her seat, the two looking back to watch Rocket ask Y/N a question about whatever they were working on.

"That's the fastest I've seen someone ever get all friendly with Rocket," Peter grumbled, "You know what he's usually like, he barely meets the person before he has a gun to their face." To which he chuckled to himself.

Gamora rolled her eyes, "You don't think... he..." Peter looked at her confused, "He... what?" He thought, before his eyes widened in realisation, "Rocket could like her?!" Gamora hushed him, "Don't say it so loud!"

"Rocket really? I dunno, he might've found someone who just liked the same things he did." He turned back quickly, "Like blowing up moons."

"He's been acting too strange with her, I think she's using him so then she could get information out of him in some way," Gamora said.

"Gamora, you're overthinking this." Peter looked back to flying the Milano, "Whatever it is, he seems to be enjoying making something. Look at that face though," Gamora turned, "tell me that's not the face of someone having the best time making a bomb to destroy people?"

"Or it's the face when you're love-struck with someone who could potentially get us all killed." Gamora hissed, "Gam." Peter smiled softly, and the green skin female assassin realised that it was a genuine smile to see on the usual beaming and overly cheerful face Star-Lord, "We'll see if it's something else, bonding or just straight up being lovey-dovey with each other."

"Whatever, just keep your eyes up ahead." She muttered, earning another chuckle as she tried to keep the small smile on her face from forming, "Yes ma'am."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

"There." Y/N wiped her upper brow after working for what seemed like ages. "I present to you your new and highly modified gun." She bestowed the weapon into Rocket's paws, the gun felt exactly the same form before giving it to her to work on, "What does it do then?" He asked.

"Ah, that is a secret. A surprise for when you need it most, just," she pointed towards the new button she had created, a red button on the side, "don't. press. this." She smirked, "T-Thanks... I guess." He sighed, as he looked at the creation in awe, marvelling its new makeover.

"It's nothing, been doing this since forever." She brushed it off like it was nothing, stretching her back, "Who taught you this?" He emphasised towards his gun, "Zerron. He thought that since I was still too young to wield my own gun until I was 10, he thought it would be best to help in creating and experimenting with what I could make in terms of what he called, 'giving bullets a complete makeover'." She cleared her things whilst she continued.

"By the time I was 10, he took me out to see what I could do." She smirked to herself.

"I think he seemed impressed." She beamed, "That's why he used me as one of his own professional weapons experts and let me go on my own missions."

Rocket went to say something, but a large jolt from the left side brought the Milano to sway abruptly, items falling off and onto the floor sharply as the group jolted from where they were, "What was that?" Drax called as he made his way into the room, trying to stay balanced as he ran to get to his seat.

Everyone made their way to the cockpit quickly, "What the hell was that Quill? This is why I should've driven this old scrap." Rocket exclaimed, "Can we talk about this later, we have company." Gamora spoke up, as they looked at the rear camera, seeing a large fleet making their way towards them.

"Sh*t, why now?" Peter spoke, as he looked back to the others, indicating for them to get into their seats quickly. Groot rushed before jumping onto the back of Rocket's shoulder, a look of worry in his large brown eyes.

"You know 'em?" Rocket called towards Y/N as she looked back, "No, but they seem really friendly!" She spoke sarcastically. "Maybe we should say hi," Drax suggested.

"That was sarcasm Drax." Y/N mentioned, trying her best not to roll her eyes, "I know that fleet though. Zerron always had trouble with them." She furrowed her eyebrows more, squinting properly as they suddenly widened, "Hit it."

"Why, are they dangerous?" Peter questioned as he looked back to her, "If you want this ship to stay intact, I suggest getting the hell out of here." She motioned, "They know I would be on this ship, and they want us all dead."

"Well, what are waitin' here for? HIT IT!" Rocket shouted, as Peter immediately shoved down the right control, the ship moving and speeding out of the way just in time before getting hit by a missile.

A/N:

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! See you in the next one!

-Mockingbirdsdontsing