Chapter V; Heartless

X sat in the wasteland he had grown used to, almost to the point he could call it home. He was watching Vanitas train with the Unversed. Of course, the pitiful creatures stood no chance against their creator. Most weren't even fighting back. Vanitas killed them in seconds, the dark energy going right back into him.

"Why are you here anyway?" Vanitas asked turning to X after finishing off another group of Unversed. He stabbed his key into the ground and leaned on it.

"I'm waiting to hear what world Terra shows up in," X answered leaning back. "What about you? Shouldn't you be out spreading the Unversed?" He asked. Vanitas shrugged.

"They're everywhere already. I just have to wait for that loser to get strong enough." He replied. He pulled his key from the ground and turned away from X. He summoned more Unversed and attacked them without a second thought.

"Do you think he will get strong enough, the kid seemed like a pushover to me," X asked, watching Vanitas slash his way through the Unversed.

"He has to. We don't have a backup plan." Vanitas responded while still fighting. X nodded. Beside him, a Shadow appeared. X glanced down at it with mild interest. He stood up and stretched.

"Where is he?" X asked.

Enchanted Dominion. The Shadow replied. X nodded opening up a dark corridor with the snap of his fingers. He shot a glance at Vanitas before disappearing into the dark corridor.

X came out of the dark corridor near a lake. Terra was at the lakes shore looking out over the water. X smirked to himself before walking over to the should be Master. The blonde paused behind him, following his gaze out over the water.

"Have you never seen a lake before?" X asked. Terra jumped and turned to face X. X looked at him calmly with his hands in his pockets. Terra looked at him in shock.

"When did you get here?" He asked slowly.

"Just a minute or two ago," X answered calmly. He met Terra's gaze without flinching. Terra was suspicious of him, with good reason of course. It wasn't every day someone just appeared out of nowhere. And it probably didn't help X had just been in the Land of Departure and had no way of knowing where Terra would appear.

"How did you get here?" Terra asked. X frowned at the question. He knew it would come up eventually, but he hadn't expected it so soon. He needed Terra's trust, so lying was out of the options.

"If I show you, you can't freak out," X said looking at Terra. He shifted his weight so he looked to be leaning away from Terra and looked away. He was trying to appear nervous, which was something he hadn't been for a long time.

"I won't." Terra agreed with a calm voice. Apparently, X's acting had tricked him.

"And you can't tell anyone," X added. Terra looked surprised by this addition but didn't object. He nodded slowly, looking at X with curiosity. X took a deep breath before snapping. Beside him, a corridor of darkness opened. Terra jumped back surprised.

"What is that?" Terra asked.

"It's a dark corridor. That's how I world travel." X answered quietly, looking away from Terra. With a wave of his hand, he closed the corridor. He refused to look at Terra, afraid the expression on Terra's face would make him burst out laughing. His fear of the darkness was comical.