Chapter XXI; All is Changed

Y looked around the bright forest with a frown. She had seen this place before, hadn't she? The trees all around towered above her and Ven. The ground was uneven and had very few patches of light. The canopy of leaves overhead must have blocked out most of the light. Moss hung from the tree branches nearly reaching the ground. The ground itself was covered in dead leaves from seasons past.

Y blinked in surprise as she turned, realization striking her as she began to grin broadly. She did know this place. The warm air was one of the most familiar things to her. Some of the trees even looked familiar.

"No way." Y said breathlessly. Ven turned to glance at her. He tilted his head to the side in curiosity when he saw her smile. "No way! No way!" Y repeated, laughing in joy.

"Y, are you ok?" Ven asked in concern. Y turned to face Ven still smiling brightly. Ven couldn't remember the last time she had smiled so much. Had there ever been a time she had smiled like that at the Land of Departure? If there had been it was a long time ago.

"Ok?" Y asked, stilling laughing slightly as she spoke. As if she couldn't believe it. "I'm great! Ven, I'm home!" She exclaimed. Ven blinked in surprise.

"Home?" Ven repeated in question. Y nodded quickly, looking around them. "Wait, this is where you came from?" He asked, looking around himself. He didn't think he had ever seen a forest like it. The light that made it through the canopy cast a golden glow around everything.

"Yes! I'm home. I haven't seen this place in ages!" Y said. She still couldn't believe it. Every time she looked around she saw more and more proof, but she still couldn't believe it. Y's bright smile suddenly fell, being replaced by a frown. Ven noticed quickly.

"What's wrong?" Ven asked in concern. Y turned to him with her frown.

"I wish Aqua and Terra were here. I wanted us all to be together when I came back." Y said sadly. Ven smiled at her softly. He could understand that. He wanted Aqua and Terra to be here too. Then they could see Y's bright smile too. Maybe they could remember a time she smiled like that.

"What a surprise visit." A soft voice said. The voice clearly belonged to a young girl. There was a pleasant lilt present in the voice, making it seem almost melodic. "Little princess has returned." The lilting voice continued. Ven and Y both turned trying to locate the owner of the voice. Spotting a strange splash of red color Y stopped.

Up in one of the many trees surrounding them was a young girl with bright red hair and crystal blue eyes. Freckles dotted her face, contrasting against her pale skin color. She wore a silver colored sweatshirt that hung off her shoulders over a pair of gold colored pants. Her feet were bare, with a silver anklet around her right ankle.

"Maru." Y said, looking at the ten year old in shock. The girl smiled in reply, confirming what Y had guessed.

"Good to see you Y, do you mind helping me out?" Maru asked. Y glanced around the forest before looking up at the girl with suspicion.

"What did you do now?" Y asked warily. Maru huffed in annoyance and crossed her arms.

"I have done nothing." Maru insisted as if offended. Y glanced to Ven, who could only shrug. He didn't know enough about this world to have an idea of what was going on. "But every time I try to leave this tree and get back to town the stupid little beasties swarm me." Maru continued on. Y frowned, still looking at Ven.

"The Unversed." Ven suggested. Y nodded, looking back to Maru. If it had been anything else Y suspected Maru would have been able to tell them. Maru was rather knowledgeable about the creatures in the world despite her young age. At least she had been the last time Y had been here.