Chapter XVII; Burn Bright

Ven and Y walked into the strange town, looking around in wonder. It was a bright cheery town. Y didn't see anything remotely like an Unversed within sight. There weren't any people either. The town just seemed empty. But not a sad kind of empty, if that made any sense. Y didn't really understand it herself, but that was all she could think of to describe the town.

Very suddenly a large humanoid cat- uh, maybe- jumped in front of Ven and Y. Y stopped suddenly and gripped Ven's arm in surprise.

"Tada! Wearin' the mask of peace and hope comes the fearless defender and hero of this town! It is me-- Captain Justice!" The cat thing said. Y looked to Ven out of the corner of her eye. If this was the town's hero she was very worried about the town overall.

"Huh? Umm...." Ven said, turning to look at Y. Y shrugged in response to the look.

"Young couple! Do my hero-senses detect that you got troubles? Just say the word, and Captain Justice will make all your problems disappear!" Captain Justice said. Y felt her face flush as she looked down to the ground.

"We're not a couple! We're just friends!" Y objected. Ven laughed nervously and nodded in agreement.

"Anyway, we're just trying to make some friends--" He said. He trailed off looking at Y, who still wasn't looking at him. "Never mind, forget it."

"Don't be intimidated by my magnificence. Go on and spit it out." Captain Justice said. Y turned a cold glare towards him. Oddly enough he wasn't affected like others normally would be. "Then, remember to vote Captain J." He added.

"Vote?" Ven asked, tipping his head to the side.

"Oh! Well, uh, forget that. How can I help? That's the only reason I'm here." Captain Justice said. Y frowned and crossed her arms.

"A likely story." Y said in disbelief. Ven nudged her side gently.

"Tell us about your town. Everything's so festive. Is it always like this?" Ven asked. Y smiled softly at him. Trust Ven to come up with something like that. This cat thing was clearly trouble, but Ven was still humoring him. 

"Huh? That's it-- nothin' else?" Captain Justice asked. Ven nodded. "Well, the festivities are on account of the Dream Festival-- which is why I've made sure there's carnival stuff all over town." He continued. Y frowned glancing around. She didn't see any carnival type things. Her homeworld held a festival yearly, and then the city was filled to the brim with attractions. 

"Really? Like what?" Ven asked excitedly.

"Ho ho, you gotta see it for yourself. Wouldn't be much of a dream if I just told ya." Captain Justice answered. Ven nodded again.

"Right. Thanks." He said.

"Don't you kids go forgettin', Captain Justice is the one who solved all your problems. That would be Justice with a J." Captain Justice said. Y rolled her eyes.

"No, I thought it was spelled with a G." Y said sarcastically. Ven nudged her again.

"Sure, we got it, Captain Justice," Ven said. The cat ran off seconds later, hearing a duck child complain about something or another.

"He was totally making most of that up." Y said the moment Captain Justice was gone. She looked at Ven calmly. He nodded putting his hands behind his head.

"Yeah, probably. But hey, it's a festival. That could be fun." Ven said, smiling brightly. Y couldn't help but smile in return. Ven's lightheartedness was almost contagious. But Y supposed that was a good thing. Things would be a lot harder if they were constantly worrying.