Chapter seven: Midnight Moonlight

"Marie! Wake up!"

I groaned in my pillow as I heard my mom screaming in my room. I never hear her in the mornings because it's usally momma who wakes me up.

I blink my eyes a few times before I look and see mom standing next to my bed, staring down at me. I rub the sleep from my eyes and look at the clock. "Mom, it's not even time to wake up," I pull the blanket over my head but I felt it being pulled off. I look at her as she's still staring at me, "What?"

"What the hell are these?" she asks as she's holding out her hand.

I look at her hand and see two pills. I look back at her to see her still staring at me, "They're headache medicine," she stares at me as I stare back. "Isabelle gave them to me the other day,"

She continued to stare at me, "Why would she give you unprescribed pills when you could get some from here?" she asks as she's still staring at me.

"I didn't ask for them. I told her I had a headache, and she gave me some," I watched as she stood there.

She let out a breath, "They're going in the garbage," she starts walking away but I yell for her.

"Why are you acting like they're drugs?" I ask as she turns around to face me.

She stands there and stares at me, "You don't know if they are or not. She gave them to you, Marie. Did you happen to see the bottle?" I shook my head and she stared at me. "Then you don't know. She could have gave you drugs," she walked out and left me there.

I sighed and laid my head back on the pillow. I shook my head and rubbed my eyes as I was trying to figure out why mom has to be like that all the time.

After a few minutes of laying there, I got up to get ready for school. I took a shower, then brushed my teeth and as I was putting my clothes on, I couldn't help but think about last night and how Isabelle saved me.

She saved my life.

I owe her for that.

I walked downstairs and found momma and mom in the kitchen, at the table. I wasn't hungry, so I sat down and watched them for a moment until momma looked over at me.

"Breakfast is on the stove," she looked at me as she was taking a sip from her glass.

I shook my head, "I'm not hungry," I saw her stare at me and I knew that she was about to question.

"Why not?" she asked.

I shrugged, "I don't know," I stared at her.

She sighed, "You still need to eat something," she got up and went to the stove. I watched as she made a plate and brought it to me. When she sat it in front of me, she looked at me, "At least eat a little,"

I took a few bites here and there, but nothing too big. Momma and mom both were looking at me, and I knew that they wanted to know what was wrong. But I didn't know what was wrong.

My mind kept going back to Isabelle and last night, and I knew that I would have to face everyone today and what happened last night, and I just didn't think I could handle it.

After mom left for work, momma was doing the dishes and I sat there, staring at nothing while my mind was occupied with thoughts.

"Marie,"

I shook my thoughts and looked at momma as she was staring at me. "Yes?" I stared at her.

"What's wrong?" she asked as she dried her hands on a towel and walked to me.

I shrugged, "Nothing," I watched as she sat down next to me.

"You can tell me anything, you know that," she searched my eyes.