Chapter sixteen: Apologies Mean Something, Right?

I didn't go back to school that day. I decided that it wasn't worth it anymore to have to go somewhere that only tortures me when I can't be around Isabelle.

I'm currently at her house, thinking about my moms, and why they have to be this way. I'm also thinking about what Michelle told me what happened years ago, and I'm trying so hard to piece the puzzle together in order to better understand it.

If Michelle couldn't make them believe her, then who could?

I sat on the couch thinking as Isabelle made her way into the living room and sat down next to me. She handed me a glass of water and looked at me. "How's the thinking coming?" she asked.

I sighed. "Terrible to say the least." I couldn't come up with any ideas and it was driving me insane. I took a sip of my drink as I was trying so hard to think of a solution, but I came up short.

I looked over at Isabelle as she was drinking from her glass. I admired her for a moment and I couldn't possibly believe that someone could be that beautiful. She was perfect in every way, and it completely awed me.

She caught me staring. "What?" she questioned as she stared back at me.

I smiled. "You're beautiful." it came out so flawlessly that it shocked me.

She smiled. "Have you seen yourself?" she asked. "You're more beautiful."

It started getting mushy, so I couldn't help myself but to laugh out loud, especially since she said she never was once like this until she met me.

"Why are you laughing?" she asked.

I shook my head. "Just from what you said today at school." I smiled. "How you weren't ever like this until you met me." I stated, remembering every word.

She smiled down at her feet. "It's the truth." she looked up at me. "I haven't felt like myself in days, and it's a little scary, but I'm starting to adjust." she smiled.

I smiled back but heard a car door shut from outside. I looked over at Isabelle as she got up and went to the window to look out. When she turned back around, she looked at me. "It's my mom." she glanced somewhere for a second then looked back at me. "She's home earlier than usual."

I was confused as to why she was home early, but everything started clicking when I forgot that we had skipped school and she probably found out about it.

"What do we do?" I asked. But it was too late as the door swung open and Michelle made her way inside.

Her eyes landed on me then at Isabelle. "I just got a call from the school stating that you were absent. It didn't really surprise me because you've done it before, but my mind got to thinking and I knew that you had dragged Marie into it also." she stared at Isabelle.

"Mom, listen-"

"No, you listen," she spat back. "I'm tired of looking like the bad guy yet again because you can't seem you understand what restraining order means. Are you trying to end up in jail? Aubrey and Jennifer hate me as it is, I'm not trying to stay on their list for eternity!" she shouted. "You can't seem to understand that there are other people to worry about other than yourself."

I hated watching Michelle and Isabelle argue, but I knew she was right. We shouldn't keep doing this because it's just digging a deeper hole than it already was.

Michelle then looked at me. "Your moms most likely got that call too, so if I was you, I would go home right now." she stared at me for a minute. "I'm sorry, Marie."

Michelle took one last look at Isabelle then started walking away, but Isabelle stopped her. "No." Isabelle said as Michelle was walking out of the living room, but she suddenly came to a stop as she slowly turned around to face her daughter.