Chapter fourteen: Fighting Back

I heard sirens.

After I had left everyone behind, I started walking down the street and had gotten far enough, until I started hearing police sirens and I knew that they were after me. I knew that my mom must have called them after I had left.

I heard them getting closer, but I wasn't running. I left my pace as I was walking along the sidewalk. I had too much on my mind to worry about the police coming after me.

I'm not a criminal, and I haven't committed a crime. It's just that my mom hates how completely in love I am with Isabelle that I refuse to choose a side from which consists of tearing my world apart.

But she doesn't understand that.

No. She'll never understand that.

She's always going to live in the past because that's where the bad memories are and she's afraid of forgetting what once hurt her.

So, I'm leaving everything behind. I can't be the victim in this game that she wants me to play. I can't choose between my family and Isabelle. It's not possible.

The sirens were a lot closer now, and when I turned to check behind me, I saw a police car start slowing down once it started approaching me. I kept walking, but didn't ignore them as I kept looking at them.

Once they pulled up next to me, the man finally got out and started talking to me. I couldn't hear anything he was saying as I kept walking. I didn't want to hear what he was saying because I knew what words were coming out of his mouth without hearing a word.

When I felt a hand on my arm, I stopped and looked at the man who was staring at me. "Marie Collins?"

There's my hearing.

I just stared at him as he was staring back. When I didn't respond, he must have knew I was her. He pulled me towards the car and made me get inside. Once inside, I sat there and waited for him to get in his side. After he shut the door, we were leaving the area and turning around back towards where I came from.

I knew I couldn't get far because my mom is overprotective and I couldn't do anything without her coming up right behind me and pulling me back.

When we pulled up at my house, there was another police car in the yard, and I saw my moms outside talking to him. The man told me to step out, and I followed suit as he got out. I didn't know what to do, so I followed him up to the other officer and my moms.

Momma had been crying, I could see it on her face from where he tears were running down her cheeks and they were puffy. Mom on the other hand, looked mad as always, no surprise there.

I walked to momma and she embraced me as she started crying. I didn't understand why she was doing this, it wasn't like I was kidnapped. But she's emotional so I ignore it.

I heard the other officer say something out a restraining order, and I looked at mom as she nodded. I knew she was talking about Isabelle and I felt everything inside me break down again.

I pushed away and ran inside. I ran upstairs and to my room. Once inside, I slammed the door and walked to my bed. Something caught my eye and as I turned towards my window, I noticed it was boarded up.

Of course.

I laid on my bed and cried. My life is crap. I don't deserve to live because I can't be happy enough to have a happy life. Everything in my life is going to hell, and it's all my moms fault.

I continued to cry as sleep took me over and to a place where nobody could hurt me.

*

"Marie!"