Chapter nine: Nothing Lasts Forever

When Saturday came, I was more than a little nervous about Isabelle coming over. I knew that everything would go great, but I still had my doubts when it came to this kind of stuff.

I was more than grateful to find out that my moms were supportive of Isabelle, and I couldn't be happier when I knew they were happy that I found someone. I knew that they wouldn't care if I dated a girl, but I was a little uneasy about them approving since they have yet to meet her.

I told Isabelle Friday, which was yesterday, that the party was going to be about noon. I also told her that my moms wanted her mom to come also, and she was a little surpised about that, but didn't ask any questions.

When she told me that she told her mom about us, my heart was racing. But after she said that her mom was happy about it, my heart went back to normal and I was glad. I also told her what my moms said, and she was happy.

As long as we're both happy, right?

I was helping my moms set everything up before the party. I knew that Lily didn't want a little girls party, so I tried to not let my moms ruin it by making it look like one. I tried hard to make it look cool, but with the decorations that Janice bought, it's a little hard to do so.

"Everyone should be arriving soon," I heard momma say as she was walking back inside the house.

Mom and I were outside together hanging up banners on the house. I watched as she was trying to hang one end of the banner up, and my mind instantly went back to the day when Lily and I were going to the mall, and everything that she told me.

I stared at mom for a moment and I wanted to know if the way she's been treating me, has anything to do with the fact that momma couldn't get pregnant at the time, and I was the first success.

After mom climbed back down the ladder, I looked at her. "Mom," she looked at me as I was watching her. "Can I ask you something?"

She nodded, "Sure,"

"Lily told me something last week when we went to town," I watched as her eyes never left mine. "She told me that I was the first success when it came to momma getting pregnant," I stared at her for a moment. "Is that true?" I asked.

She didn't say or do anything for a moment until she nodded, "Yes," she stared at me. "You were," she slightly smiled. "I remember us trying so hard to get her pregnant, but she lost the baby both times, and we were thinking about giving up but.." she trailed off until I saw her eyes turn into something a little more darker as she looked at me. She shook her head, "Anyways, you were the first success, and we couldn't be happier," she smiled, but I could tell there was something else.

I blurted out, "Is that why you are the way you are?"

She stared at me. "What?" she questioned.

I took a deep breath, "Protective of me," I watched her eyes for a moment.

She sighed, "Marie, I'm protective because you're my daughter, and I don't want you getting hurt, so I try my best to keep you from doing so," she explained as she looked at me.

I nodded, "Ok," I didn't want to push her anymore, because I was a little uneasy around her at times.

We finished hanging everything up, and it looked pretty good. It didn't scream 'twenty year old party' but it wasn't a little girls party neither.

After a while, I started feeling better about Isabelle coming over, and I couldn't wait.

*

The party had started and there were a lot more people here than I thought. Some of Janice's friends were here with their kids, and of course, Lily's friends were here, and almost everyone that my moms knew.