Chapter 9 - The Explanation

Nathan's POV

 "I'll explain everything after the interviews...please go to my office afterwards," Carson said, with a sad smile on his face.

The interview was easy and quick. We just talked about our upcoming album and tour with Fantasy. When asked about Kyle, we said he had private matters to tend to and thankfully they didn't ask any more about it. Everyone left after the interview, excluding Elsa who took Brandon's car keys so that she could wait for him in the car instead of the music hall.

We packed up our instruments and headed up to the office where Carson was working through piles of paperwork. He immediately looked up when we knocked the door, his face lined with stress.

"Thanks for coming. Please...take a seat," Carson said, walking over to the sofas. We followed and sat down, looking at him expectantly for an answer. He took a deep breath and began.

"When I was young, the pressures of fame led me to drinking and drugs. Even though I was married, I'd still go to clubs and get completely wasted or stoned. I had a kid...a baby...and...even that didn't stop me. Once I drank too much...and...accidently raped a girl who went to school with me. She had just finished babysitting and saw me throwing up near the house, so she helped me to a nearby hotel. That girl was Kyle's mother," he said, looking at us with guilt and pain in his eyes. I felt Hayden tense up next to me.

"I don't remember much...but I know what I did. She talked to me in private the next day, her eyes filled with fear. She told me she wouldn't say anything because she was so ashamed by what had happened. I tried to make it up to her, but she said she never wanted to see or hear from me again. I didn't know she had a son until two years ago when, at a school reunion, one of her best friends told me that she got pregnant a few months before marrying her boyfriend. That's when I knew that she had a son...my son. I tried calling her many times, I even stopped by her house, but it was no use," Carson continued, his eyes watering. "You guys probably think I'm useless don't you."

"No, of course n-" I began before being interrupted by Hayden.

"How could you?! That is...just...I can't even describe how I'm feeling right no! You destroyed an innocent girl! Don't get me wrong Mr Brown, I have so much respect for everything you've done to achieve your goals, but that's disappointing," Hayden shouted with venom in his words.

"Hayden, calm down. He already said it was an accident and he didn't even know about Kyle," I said, placing a hand on his shoulder. He let it rest there for a few seconds whilst contemplating what I just said, and then violently shrugged it off.

"Doesn't make it right, does it," he said, anger lacing his words.

"I know I did wrong and I know this is hard for you Hayden, with your past being so similar to Kyle's. I debated whether to tell you about this at all...but I felt it was right for you to know considering the commotion Kyle created this afternoon," Carson said, looking at Hayden anxiously. He gave a little grunt as a sign of acknowledging what Carson just said.

"I can truthfully say that Kyle being admitted into the group had nothing what so ever to do with our relationship. In fact, he wasn't even scouted by me and I didn't know he was my son until he gave me his family details this morning. This afternoon he stormed in here telling me his mother told him that I'm his Dad. He wanted to know the truth...but as soon as I reached rape he told me that I was a lowlife and told me to keep out of his life until he found out his mother's side of the story...which explains his outburst this afternoon after the showcase," Carson continued. He paused afterwards, letting out a big sigh which signalled the end of his...confession...of sorts? An awkward silence followed in which we tried to take in everything he just said.

Somehow I breathed in the air wrong and something got caught in my throat. I started coughing like crazy until my eyes started watering. Someone gave me a cup of water which I hastily gulped down...what a way to break the silence huh?! After my coughing fit, I smiled awkwardly at everyone...wanting to curl up in the corner and just die on the spot...

"Anyways, it's getting late. Have a rest tomorrow, practising for today must have been hard on you all and you all need a well deserved break. I'll try and sort things out with Kyle as soon as possible," Carson said, bravely putting on a smile. He got up and walked over to the door. We followed him, still in silence because we just didn't know what to say.

"We'll try contacting him for you," Brandon said. Hayden and Wyatt both nodded after he said that, muttering something along the lines of 'yeah same'.

"Get some rest Carson, you could wake the living dead," I joked, trying the lift the heavy atmosphere. Carson laughed quietly and patted me on the back.

"Thanks Nathan. I will. Thanks...all of you...for listening to an old man and his mistakes," Carson said.

We muttered our 'no problems' and walked through the empty dark building and out of the double doors where the evening wind slashed at us. We said our goodbyes and I headed towards my car.

Once I got in, I opened my mobile. Maybe it's a bit too late to call Kyle...I should probably call him tomorrow. Instead I found Toni's home number on my mobile. After she disappeared out of the music hall, I realised that she didn't have a lift and she probably took the bus. She usually forgets to turn on her mobile after films which is why calling her home number would be a better idea.

I dialled it and waited.

"Hi, this is the Smith houshold, would you like to leave a message?" a man’s voice asked. It sounded familiar...but Toni only lives with her Mum... "Hello? Hello?"

Then it hit me...it's Kyle! What was Kyle doing at Toni's house?!

"Who is it?" I heard Toni asking, her voice a bit muffled.

"I dunno...they're not replying. It could be -" Kyle began before being interrupted by a huge thud and a scream. Then there was no sound.

That scream sounded a lot like Toni...I snapped out of my trance, stepping on the accelerator pedal, my heart beating painfully fast.