4: The Word 'Indigenous'

Chapter 4: The Word 'Indigenous'

Toting the radio on his hood, Doc went over to the V8 Café where Flo and Ramone were darting everywhere in a frantic hurry.

"Ramone, that's not how you spell her name! Who spells it 'H-A-R-L-Y!?' Come on, baby!" Ramone was painting a sign on a piece of scrapped tin from Mater's junk yard. Doc scoffed at the sight of Ramone dropping his paint sprayer and picking up another. He began to cover the entire sign in a coat of white while muttering something about restarting and paint being low. Guido and Luigi then came speeding across the diner causing doc to jump back in reverse.

"So sorry, Doc!" Luigi called followed by a line of Italian from Guido. Doc then chuckled and called back.

"It's fine!" He said and they dashed into the diner. Doc then looked around and saw that Flo was with Mater.

"And don't forget!" she barked, "Blue and purple! She loves blue and purple! Come back quick! Fillmore might have something. Oh, and Lizzie too!" Mater held his chassis high.

"Yes, ma'am!" he shouted then sped off.

"Don't tell Harley!" Flo called out.

"Alrighty!" Mater hollered back. Flo rolled her eyes but smiled and laughed to herself. She then began speeding back towards Ramone and Doc followed close behind.

"Well, Flo, you seem to be good at being in charge." He said as he looked around. Red was setting up a sign in the front of the building that read in blue and purple letters that read 'Happy Birthday!' Guido and Luigi were setting up a bar of food and snacks while Sarge was directing where things should be placed.

"Huh? Oh, you bet your tail lights I am!" she said as she continued to Ramone. "That's better! H-A-R-L-E- Y. Good!" Ramone gave a satisfied smile and nodded. He then glanced up and noticed that Doc was there.

"Ey, Doc! Way to bring the tunes!" Ramone said once he paused and looked up from his work.

"Actually, no, I had an idea for a gift." he said and Flo jumped up.

"Oh! Gifts! Don't you worry; I called up my old group! They'll be here later, but they'll be here! That's my gift! A live concert! Open to request, of course." Ramone laughed.

"You called up your old Motarama girls?" He asked and Flo nodded.

"Mhm! I get things taken care of!" she proudly said, "Which reminds me…" she began to speed off into the diner. "Luigi!" she yelled as she disappeared through the doors. Doc watched her then looked to Ramone.

"She's busy." Ramone justified and they both chuckled. "What was your idea?"

"Right. I found this old radio." Doc said and let it slide off his hood. "I thought maybe we all could take part in fixing it and it be a gift from the town."

"Oohhh. That's a great idea!" Ramone and scooted the radio closer to him. "While I have my tools out, I'll go ahead and paint it up and fix the outside of it. Shouldn't take too long." he said as he eyed it then looked back at Doc. "I'll get to work after I finish this sign!" Doc smiled.

"Thank you, Ramone." he said and began to drive off. He paused and looked around at all the work that was going on. He warmed his engine at how much the town cared about this one small event. But it wasn't all that small was it? Doc's smile slightly faded as he thought that this could very well be her first good birthday party. He sat there for a minute then began to drive to Lizzie's shop. Once there, he saw that Lizzie and Harley were inside, both completely clueless as to what was going on down the road. Harley seemed enthralled by a little snow globe.