Two

"Not to be a downer," Jaime said. "But he's going to start expecting us to kill him."

"So maybe he'll stop making social calls?" I hoped.

Jaime shrugged. "God knows what he's going to do. Maybe he'll try and kill you instead."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, I shake from the onslaught of birds coming to peck out my eyes."

"Green magic's pretty serious stuff, Vic," Jaime countered.

"Yeah, I'm sure it is," I said sarcastically.

"Stop underestimating him," Jaime tutted in an annoyed tone. "So far he's continuously managed to get the better of us."

"We're not thinking out of the box enough," I said suddenly, sitting forward in my chair. "That's why we failed."

"Really? I thought it was because we had the grand idea to send animals to kill the animal wizard."

"The sarcasm isn't helping," I snapped at my best friend. Jaime shrugged, the ghost of a smirk on his face.

"I don't know why you want to kill him so badly," Jaime sighed. "He doesn't do much else but irritate you."

I raised my eyebrows in confusion. "That's exactly why I want to kill him."

Jaime closed his eyes and lifted himself into the air, lying horizontally and as comfortably as if he were in bed.
"I think you're being overdramatic. Maybe I should cast a spell on you and find out what your true feelings for Kellin are."

"No need, I'll tell you," I answered. "Disgust with a hint of detestation."

"I think you're mistaking loathing for longing," Jaime said, opening his eyes to look at me.

"Stop with this idea of yours that a single part of me likes Kellin," I snapped.

"I'll stop with it when you admit it," Jaime grinned. "I can see it in your eyes."

"I didn't realise you were going blind," I uttered. "Maybe there's a spell somewhere to repair your eyesight."

"Oh Vic, you're hilarious," Jaime said, rolling his eyes. "But I'm serious."

I stopped, looking at Jaime quizzically. "What the hell are you talking about? Jaime, I hate Kellin. I'm literally plotting his murder as we speak."

"I honestly believe you're doing that just so you can live in denial about your feelings," Jaime declared.

"Are you hearing yourself right now?"

"I'm trying to stop you from making a mistake," Jaime said firmly. "I think you should stop with these drastic measures you seem to be taking and reconsider."

"The only mistake I made was ever being friends with Kellin in the first place," I muttered.

"Surely what happened between you two wasn't that bad that it sparked a century-long rivalry," Jaime stated, floating closer to me as he spoke.

"I don't remember," I shrugged. "But he certainly is taking it very personally."

"Come on," Jaime whined, "you have to at least know something."