Five

Vic is just a silly old man who doesn't understand how the world works anymore in this one. (and we learn a bit of his backstory!)

-

Okay so maybe I hadn't really been around mortals for something like fifty years, but had they really changed that much? I couldn't help blinking at all the flashing lights and all the loud music that I was currently being subjected to. Jaime and Tony only seemed to laugh delightedly at my reactions, frequently screaming: "somebody's lost their grandfather!" into my ear during the course of the evening.

I'd met Tony on a few occasions, since he was Jaime's friend after all, and he had always seemed like a nice guy. I knew he spent a lot of his time around mortals, going as far as to buy a house in the city and get a mundane job at a publishing firm.

He was thirty years younger than Jaime and I, meaning he'd experienced almost as much change in the world as we had. Instead of letting that poison his love for the mortal world (as it had for me), Tony seemed utterly perplexed by the normality that came with it.

Jaime had told me how Tony had even tried dating mortals, but once he had outlived one of them he had spiralled into such a pit of despair that he made sure never to form relationships with them ever again.

But now here the two of them were, dancing wildly (and badly) to the music and despite their age, looked rather like they fit in here with all the other twenty year olds. I couldn't shake the feeling that it had just been too long since I had been in this type of environment and I had completely forgotten how to party.

I stood at the side, quietly observing both of my friends and wondering how on earth I was ever going to dive right back into the swing of things again. Tony leant close to Jaime, shouting something in his ear that had the other boy throwing his head back in laughter.

I clasped my hands together firmly, worried that I would accidentally wave my hand and perform magic out of habit. That was all I needed; a bunch of mortals screaming in fear and condemning me to burn at the stake just because I'd conjured up a whiskey instead of ordering one.

I sighed. I knew mortals were less inclined to violently murder me for the use of magic - I could always write it off as science and they'd be amazed, but leave it at that. (A lot of wizards who had gotten caught for using magic accidentally in the mortal world had done so and it seemed to work for them.)

"You don't want a drink?" the bartender asked me, raising a pierced eyebrow.

"Uh, no," I answered hesitantly. It wasn't because I didn't want one - God I'd kill for a scotch - but it was honestly because I had no idea what ridiculous names the alcohol was all called. I remembered Jaime asking for something like fornication by the sea or whatever it was called.

"Really?" she said, a slight smile on her face. "It looks like you need one."

I looked back at Jaime and Tony who weren't paying me any attention and then turned my gaze back to the girl.

"Yeah, I do," I said, reconsidering her offer.

"Fantastic," she spoke happily. "What's your poison?"

"My... poison," I said slowly, thinking through the words carefully. God, I was not in with the times and what the 'lingo' nowadays was. "What's your strongest?"

She smiled then, looking at me with excited eyes. "Probably one of the drinks that includes tequila."

"Okay," I replied, "I'll have two."

She turned away, hiding the glint in her eye and started to prepare whatever it was that I was going to put in my body.