Twenty-Nine

hey lol look who's alive

-

"I'm a little scared to ask," Jaime said awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. "But I mean we have to address the elephant in the room, don't we?"

"No," I replied curtly. "We don't."

"Vic," he sighed, looking across to Tony for help. "We're your oldest friends-"

"Yeah, actually," Kellin grinned, materializing next to me. "I think I hold that honor."

He slid his arm around my waist and pulled me near to him, but I remained stiff and tense in his grip. I knew what they were here to ask, what they were here to do - and I was not in the mood to deal with any of it today.

"No, you don't," Jaime smirked, "you might have known him longer - but I've been friends with him for more years than you have."

Kellin rolled his eyes dramatically, flipping Jaime off and placing a possessive kiss on my shoulder. "Well, unfortunately for you, he likes me more."

I looked at him out of the corner of my eye, trying my best to ignore him.

"Tell him that's not true, Vicky," Jaime grinned. "Tell him of all our stormy, heated nights together in the 80s."

"All your WHAT?"

"Oh come on, Kells," Jaime continued. "You didn't think I just happened to run into Vic one day? God, he was the cutest boy in that whorehouse-"

Jaime didn't manage the end of that sentence because Kellin was reaching out, drawing off of his own magic just to throw him across the room, sending him crashing into a bookshelf. I found it funny that he hadn't even bothered to siphon off me like he usually did and had opted for Jaime.

"He's joking," I murmured to him gently, "you know that right?"

"I didn't know you in the 80s," he replied.

"Well Jaime's not too far off from what they were actually doing," Tony laughed. "Oh those two were a proper riot."

"God, remind me to never joke with this ass again," Jaime said, rubbing his shoulder. "Geez, you make one joke about messing around with someone else's boyfriend and then you get yeeted."

"Anyway Jaime you deserved that. Vic just break the news to us," Tony cut in. "This is going to hurt us just as much as it's going to hurt you."

A few things about that statement really pissed me off. Firstly, this was in no way an us situation - this was entirely my problem and sure they'd all cry at first but they'd get over it pretty soon. I'd be the one left trying to deal with the fact that I lost the biggest part of me.

Secondly, I hated that they immediately assumed I wouldn't be able to conjure anymore.

But maybe I was being too irrational - all hyped up on my emotions and all that. But really - what if I really couldn't conjure anymore? It would destroy me.

"Wait," Kellin said, his eyes going wider. "If you can't conjure - that basically means you don't have any magic?"

"Yeah," I said roughly, swallowing.

"Well that means nothing's supporting your body then."

I could feel Kellin's pulse practically racing as he slowly stumbled across more and more realizations.

"Vic," Kellin squeaked, "without magic your body will become unstable and you... you..."

He sucked in a breath and said the next part in mostly a whisper, "you'll die."