Three: BEFORE (1)

August, 1912.
13 years old.

"Kellin stop," I urged softly. "Somebody will see."

"Nobody is going to see," Kellin assured me. "Except you and me."

I looked around frantically, making sure the room was completely empty before turning back to my best friend.

"I learned how to do this last night," he said excitedly, a glint in his eye. "I think I've almost perfected it too."

"Just do it quickly," I begged him. "Before somebody comes."

"Nobody is gonna come, Vicky," Kellin said nonchalantly. "I warded the room."

"But we don't know how good your wards are yet," I countered. "You've only ever managed to do one before."

"And it was for you," Kellin said, raising his eyebrows indignantly at me. "And it worked, didn't it?"

I hesitated, trying to think of a retort and falling short of one. "Just... hurry it up will you?"

"Okay, okay," Kellin said and then his cheeks were filled with a massive, toothy smile.

Kellin stretched out his arms, palms facing up and squinted down at his hands in sheer concentration. I knew better than to say anything to him when he was trying to conjure up something, since I didn't want him to lose focus on what he was trying to do.

We weren't allowed to be where we currently were and definitely weren't allowed to be doing what we planned to do. If we were caught performing magic like this, we could very likely end up somewhere awful.

I hadn't perfected the spell to wipe memories yet and that was Kellin's sole backup plan if we got caught. He was trusting me to bail us out should anybody come by and catch us out of bed so late at night and I wasn't sure if I even could. The thought of facing the consequences made a little shiver run down my spine.

Kellin bit his bottom lip with his teeth, his palms starting to shake slightly. He sucked in a huge breath and let it out again, his muscles tensing up and becoming stiff.
He furrowed his brows, continued gnawing on his bottom lip and splayed his fingers out.

"Come...closer..." he breathed out to me and I, transfixed by him, did just that. I stepped closer, looking at my friend's hands with anticipation, our faces not so far apart from each other.

Then Kellin opened his mouth and burped into my face, letting out a roar of laughter as he did so. I stumbled back, fanning the air in front of me and letting out a distressed scream.

"That is so disgusting," I spluttered in horror. "You filthy animal!"

"Oh god did you see your face?" Kellin laughed, doubling over and wheezing into his thighs.

"You are a wretched thing," I said in a hoarse voice, gagging a little from the lingering smell.

"Okay that's not what I wanted to show you," Kellin said as he calmed down, wiping away tears from his face. He took another breath, taking another moment to compose himself.
"It's this."

He held a hand out again and waved over it with his other one. When nothing happened, he repeated the action and tried clicking his fingers.

"Yes, your empty hands are very fascinating to look at," I teased

"That's not it!" he protested. "It's supposed to - OH!"