Seven: BEFORE (2)

September, 1912.
13 years old.

It had taken me the better part of the morning to figure out just where exactly my best friend had run off to. I had tried to recruit Ryan into helping me - asking him if he knew a tracking spell or something along those lines, but he had just shrugged and said that he didn't.

If today had been an ordinary day, I would have lost my mind trying to find Kellin before he missed a class. But since we had been given the day off, I wasn't that worried about not finding him on time.

Kellin had missed classes before - once or twice anyway - and the punishment he'd suffered for it was something I would never let him do to himself again.

I found him eventually, perched on top of the roof of the old building at the end of the campus. We had started hanging out on this roof a lot since we had discovered it a month ago.

We'd found it the same night we'd met Brendon and Ryan, running out to watch the fight between the twins in the gardens. We'd ended up getting lost and stumbling upon this old, dilapidated building, managing to find a ladder that lead to the roof.

The four of us hadn't figured out how to get inside it yet since the doors were chained and bolted. It wasn't very big and we couldn't figure out what it could have been used for or why it was on our school grounds in the first place.

But the roof made for an excellent place to look at the stars so Kellin and I found ourselves up here quite often - grateful to get a break from everything for a bit.

We knew the risks that would come with getting caught up here after lights out and yet we were doing it anyway, making frequent visits to the roof.

And now I stood, looking at my best friend beside me with wide, unsure eyes.

"I'm... not sure about this," I said softly, looking at my hands in unease.

Kellin stuck out a hand, trying to comfort me as best he could. "I'm right beside you. I'll always be with you, remember?"

I nodded but I wasn't sure if he was even looking at me. Even though his voice was steady, his hands were clenched tightly into fists - which didn't stop them from shaking.

"It's a small jump," he said, swallowing before the next sentence. "At most we'd just break a leg or something."

"But we're... older now," I replied. "They'll make us heal it ourselves and if we can't we'll be-"

"Then let's not break our legs, yeah?" Kellin
interrupted, glancing at me with wide eyes.

"Maybe we can do it from somewhere that's not as high as this," I said, peering over the edge of the building in unease.

"No, it has to be high," Kellin insisted. "Everywhere that was too low didn't create enough adrenaline. There needs to be some sort of outcome that will motivate us to be able to do this properly so that it... doesn't have those results."

"And this outcome is breaking a limb?"

"It has to be drastic. You're frightened aren't you? That's good. That's what we need."

"Everyone else did this differently," I said. "Can't we-"

"Everyone else did this differently and it worked for them," Kellin said to me. "They all rose. We didn't."