Twenty-Two: Before (8 and a half)

1917.
Six months before.

Dani was crying when I found her, holding her head in her hands and shaking slowly with each breath she drew.

I put a hand on her shoulder but she barely noticed me, scraping her nails down her arms in an attempt to calm down. I held both of her hands in mine before she ripped her skin apart, holding them tightly and nudging her softly to let her know I was right there.

"What's wrong Dani?" I asked her gently, trying to let my magic flatten out around us and create a calmer atmosphere for her to relax in.

She didn't reply at first, sucking in harsh breaths and blowing them out shakily. Ten minutes passed before Dani even looked at me, pulling her hands out of my grip and wringing her wrists.

Her eyes were red when she looked at me, swollen and full of so much fear and sadness that my heart instantly broke.

"What's happened to you Dani?" I asked her, trying to not let my own fear bleed into my voice.

"I finally had a vision," she sniffed, looking away from me. She tugged hard at her hair, pulling tufts out as she dragged her hands through it. I had noticed that she'd been losing her hair recently, but it had never been this bad before.

"What happened in it Dani?" I whispered to her. "What did you see?"

Dani just continued looking into the distance, as if she and I and everything around her had stopped existing. In this moment, she was the only real thing here. Her eyes even seemed to glass over and when she answered me it was with an eerie sort of calm that would haunt my dreams for a century.

"I'm scared, Vic."

"What did you see, Dani?" I urged.

"There was so much red," she spoke, her lip trembling slightly. "Then, right at the end of the vision, I saw... nothing. It just ended out of nowhere, leaving me with a cold feeling in my chest."

She drew in another breath, letting it out shakily. "Like I suddenly went blind."