Sixteen: Before (5)

wooo for my irregular updating (it's because idk wtf is happening with this fic tbh)
trigger warning for mentions of bad things so be careful if that's not your stuff.
you lot have been too happy for too long so aw this one's a sad one guys

October 1913
Fourteen.

"Danielle," I said slowly, as if testing the pronunciation of her name for the first time, despite the fact that we were best friends.

"Yeah?" she responded, turning her head to look at me in mild curiosity.

"Have you seen where he's been?" I knew I shouldn't ask and I could feel how selfish I was being, yet I didn't stop.

She frowned uncomfortably and turned away. "No. I haven't had any visions lately."

"None?" I urged. "Not even a blurry one?"

She didn't answer, opting to braid her hair as if I hadn't spoken at all.

"Dani," I said, a little gentler this time. "Just tell me what's going on. I'm here for you."

She swallowed. "I know that but it's... just hard okay? I hate talking about this stuff."

"What stuff?" I pressed.

"All this bad vision crap," she huffed. "It makes me feel weird and creepy that I get to see all this private stuff about people... and well nobody else shares my gifts here so I can't talk to anybody about it."

"You can talk to me," I offered. "We're best friends, Dani."

She sighed, rubbing the back of her neck. "You just wouldn't understand."

"Well you haven't told me anything for me to try and comprehend yet."

She smiled. "You know I trust you with everything."

"Yeah, I know."

She lay back on the building we were sitting on, looking up at the sky and looking rather helpless.

"Ryan's brother," she began, "he's strong."

"How old is he now?"

"Five or something. Probably younger but I can't tell because I don't know what time frame I'm looking at." She replied.

She caught me frowning and started explaining. "When I have visions, the ones I have about the future are hard to pinpoint. I can have a vision now and in five seconds or months or years it could come true. Sometimes I'm looking at things that are happening currently and don't realise it always."

"That's... intense," I whistled.

She smiled and continued. "His brother's magic is... unique. I've tried to focus on him and see if I can access any of his future. So far I've managed to only get one part but it messed with my head too much and I couldn't hang on for long enough to see anything."

"Is something bad going to happen with him?" I asked nervously.

"I don't know," she shrugged. "But I told Ryan about it."

I could sense the tension in the air again. "What did he say?"

"Nothing. He just disappeared."

"Do you know where he is?" I asked. "Brendon's been worried sick looking for him."

"Brendon's worried because Ryan's changed completely and he's aware of that," Dani replied smoothly, not looking at me. She was observing the scenery from where we were sitting, as well as watching first years training in the field below.