Thirteen: Before (4)

May 1913
Fourteen.

"This is absolutely ridiculous," Brendon snapped, "I'm fucking locking him out."

"Don't do that," Kellin quickly intervened, jumping up from his bed and putting his hand over the latch on the door before Brendon could get to it.

"Why not?" Brendon demanded, "he fucking deserves it."

Kellin glanced up to where I was sitting on the edge of my bed, his eyes pleading with me to help stop Brendon.

"Give him a chance, Bren," I said. "He'll come soon."

"This is the sixth time he's done this in the last two weeks," Brendon said viciously. "I'm fucking sick of it."

"Don't lock the door," Kellin mumbled gently. "Let him sneak in this one time and we'll talk to him tomorrow about it."

"You're all willing to risk getting caught," Brendon shouted, "again, might I add."

"He's our friend," I said, purposely keeping my voice low.

"That might be up to debate actually," Brendon grumbled, but moved away from the door and retreated back to his own bed, underneath Ryan's empty one.

"Don't be like this," Kellin said softly, leaning against the door and looking at Brendon with sympathetic eyes. "You know he's just-"

"Just what?" Brendon practically spat. "Just ditching us for somebody better?"

"It's not like that," I insisted, "it's-"

"Oh yes," Brendon continued sarcastically, "please, all-knowing-Victor, tell me how you know exactly what Ryan's thinking."

"He's just trying to help," Kellin defended me. "You're overreacting about this Brendon."

"Am I?" Brendon said through gritted teeth. "It doesn't feel that way."

"So Ryan's coming back late," Kellin sighed, "so what? We're his best friends aren't we? Shouldn't we cover for him?"

"You don't get it, do you?" Brendon scoffed, lying down in his bed as he spoke. "He couldn't give a shit about any of us anymore."

"That's not true-"

"Isn't it?" Brendon's eyes were wild. "How many times has he spoken to you since he's been hanging out with her?"

And now that Brendon was forcing me to think about it, I was coming to the shocking conclusion that I actually hadn't spoken to him.

Brendon looked at me demandingly. "And?"

"That's not his fault," I mumbled. "He's probably just busy."

"Bullshit," Brendon snapped, "he's found somebody better and ditched all of us."

Kellin looked at me and suddenly I regretted not telling him about Brendon's feelings earlier . It's not like Brendon had explicitly told me he liked Ryan or anything, but it was so goddamn obvious that he did. Except Kellin didn't know this and -

"Brendon you're overreacting," Kellin said. "Maybe Ryan just has a big crush on her, he's not replacing our friendships or anything. He probably is just working the nerve up to ask her out-"

"Kellin," I hissed quickly, but he'd said enough.

Brendon sat up in his bed and I looked at Kellin below me with an uneasy expression.

"Brendon, maybe they're-" I tried.

"Enough," Brendon's voice was soft and he shrugged. "Kellin's right anyway. I shouldn't be upset that Ryan's found somebody to be happy with."