Chapter 9

• Piper's POV •

     Is it just me? Or is there some awkwardness in the air around everyone? I can tell that everyone's uncomfortable. It isn't obvious to the others, but I can tell. I've always had this thing for noticing people's emotions. But this was different, I could tell that this was an act of love.

     I sat at lunch with the whole gang; Percy, Annabeth, Leo and Nico, Jason, and Thalia. It was quiet, regarding the noisy lunchroom we're in, but our table was just too quiet. I could easily tell that something was wrong with Leo; he kept his head down, and he wouldn't stop playing with his fingers. He'd laugh at a joke every now and then, but his smile always faded away right after, but what I also found interesting is that he'd casually glance over in Jason's direction. Now Jason, he was sitting across Percy, and his face was bright pink. I know it wasn't from hot temperatures, because it's freezing in the cafeteria.

     Nico was normal as usual; one earbud in, not eating, looking like he could fall asleep any minute. Percy, he's acting normal as well, but I could tell something was up. I noticed that he would occasionally look down, probably to avoid eye-contact with the one sitting in front of him. Annabeth looked fine, and she's hard to decipher, so we'll set her aside for later. Thalia sat next to Leo, in front of Annabeth. She was on her phone, as always, and she would only respond to Annabeth. Weird...

     I just sat there, next to Annabeth, examining everyone's feelings. Wow, I sound like a creep. But I felt awkward, I felt as if everybody knows something, and they refuse to tell me.

     I picked a grape from Ann's tray and chewed it slowly.

     "You can have them, I'm not really hungry." She said to me.

     I picked a few more, eating one by one. Then, Thalia looked up, getting ready for an announcement.

     "Guys, wanna come over Friday night?" She asked.

     "Why? What's the occasion?" Percy asked back.

     Thalia shrugged. "I dunno. Just to enjoy each other's company."

     Jason nudged her shoulder and talked lowly to her. All I heard was something about their mom not being home for a business trip. Thalia smiled at him, and she said "Exactly." Then, Jason shrugged.

     "So, you guys in?" She asked.

     "Sure." I said.

     "I guess." Nico said.

     "I'm in." Percy said, and I saw him nudge Annabeth's shoulder gently.

     "So am I." Annabeth added.

     "Great. So, 6:30, I guess." Thalia informed.

     Then the bell rang to dismiss us to our other long, boring classes.