Chapter 3

[Volenose's POV]

I looked around the camp, and I soon spotted Bugstar coming toward us. I straightened up and stayed between Nightscare and Maplesnow. I didn't want to be near Witheredsoul while he was like this. He shouldn't have ever chosen that side.

"Thank you for coming to help me with the apprentices." Bugstar started off. Another cat came up to his side and I knew her. She was his deputy and the mate of the tom who was almost the leader before Bugstar.

"Yes, I don't think I could have ever done this alone." The shecat, Skycloud, said softly dipping her head down to us. These were her kits that were going to become warriors. Even if she was the deputy, she might not be impartial to her kits. That's why there were three of us just in case.

"You're welcome Bugstar and Skycloud. What are you planning on starting with?" Witheredsoul spoke up first. I just nodded to look like I was agreeing.

"I would like to start with the fighting portion first if that is okay with all of you. I will go and get the apprentices now." Bugstar said before dipping his head to us and heading toward a small den which seemed like it was the apprentice den.

"I guess you will be starting with the apprentices. I said I was going to help with the hunting since I'm not as experienced with fighting. I'll still be there with you both though I won't be helping." I told Nightscare with a small smile. He nodded and we waited for the apprentices to come over to us.

"Our small arena is this way. You can follow me." Bugstar said and quickly headed out of the camp.

The three apprentices that were going to become warriors followed after him quickly. I let Maplesnow and Nightscare go in front of me then followed behind them both. I felt Witheredsoul follow behind me. I guessed that he didn't want to stay in the clan with Darkfeather there watching the medicine cats. He also could be making sure we didn't do anything to the apprentices to make them want to be on our side instead of the Dark Forest's side.

It wouldn't be much longer until it was really cold. When I was in the camp, I didn't see a lot of prey in the clan's fresh kill pile. They would need more even if they were extremely small. I hoped that during the hunting portion of the assignment, they could get some more prey. We all needed we more prey before leafbare hit. I could already feel the cold wind and snow coming our way.

"Hey, Volenose. Keep walking." Witheredsoul hissed from behind me. It made me jump slightly, and I turned to glare at him. He was just being mean to me because I wouldn't side with my brother. I was staying with the majority of my siblings. The good side needed more cats and warriors anyways. We all needed to escape and at least we had a little of hope.