Chapter Sixteen: Romance

Rory met Angel at the restaurant at eight. She was a vision of loveliness with her golden blonde hair pulled back from her face revealing diamond earrings that danced in the light of the candles on the table. He was falling hard, and he knew it.

"You look amazing, Angel," Rory said as she slid into her seat.

I guess I turned into Cinderella again, she thought, fearing that when the clock struck midnight, all the magic would be gone once again. Sometimes she felt her life was just a fairy tale with the good guys and the bad guys trading places constantly in her head.

Over dinner, they talked about the future of the show and what it might mean for their careers. The hollowness Angel had felt when she awoke was slowly filling with the hope Rory was exuding. But then her spirit darkened at the thought that she might be becoming dependent on Rory for her emotional stability. She longed for a symbiotic relationship, a reciprocal bonding of emotion. Could she keep from becoming a one-way drain on him?

Rory reached for her hand, and she momentarily drew it back before finally offering it to him. He was obviously interested in her, and she desperately wanted to return the feelings. Perhaps she could allow herself to feel with this one person who seemed so real. She had never quite met anyone like him-his levelheadedness combined with his passion for life. She looked into his eyes like dark pools of chocolate and melted in them. Her hand tightened around his as they sank deeper into conversation. They almost forgot they had ordered dinner until the waiter appeared at their table with their entrees. Putting embarrassment aside, they graciously unclasped hands so he could place their plates in front of them.

"Tell me what your life was like as a little girl," Rory asked as he poured another glass of wine for each of them.

"There was nothing much exciting. I'm an only child, and I have a great relationship with my parents, especially my mom. I went to a private high school and studied to be a teacher in college. End of story. Not very exciting, is it?"

"Everything about you is exciting, Angel," Rory answered, clearly smitten with her. He didn't know if his feelings were reciprocated, but the vibes coming from her spoke volumes to him.

"What about you, Rory? What was your life like before acting?"

"Pretty much ordinary. One brother, one sister. I studied engineering in college and gave that a whirl before I turned my whole life into the stage." He got lost in her crystal blue eyes. Maybe it was the wine, but it seemed to him that sparks were beginning to fly. He didn't know if this would help or complicate their scenes in the play. He would test the waters tomorrow night.

When dinner was over, Angel asked Rory if he would drive her to the theater to pick up her car, explaining why she had left it there the night, or morning, before.

"I guess you could probably tell I had a little too much to drink last night," she said as they pulled up to her car. "I was just so exhausted, and it didn't take much to put me under. That's why I didn't drive. Thank you for dropping me off."

Rory got out of the car and opened her car door for her but not before he leaned in and gave her an embrace. Angel knew it was genuine-not stage acting, by the way he looked into her eyes before he kissed her. Their bodies melded together like gloves and when they separated Rory, screwing up his courage, said: "I'm falling for you, Angela Callahan." Angel, not ready to hear those words, pulled away and said goodnight. She left Rory standing there with a puzzled and pained look on his face. She gently brushed his hand before getting in her car.

****

What have I just done? Angel thought as she rounded the corner to her apartment building. The nicest guy to enter my life has just told me he's falling for me and I pull away. I'm so screwed up. I feel the same way, yet I can't tell him. The weight of her affliction was pulling strongly on her, and she couldn't let herself go. It was probably better to hurt him now. But she wanted this in her life. She stuffed her feelings down along with his words.

George opened the door for her as she came in.

"Did you have a nice evening, Miss Angela," he asked, the lilt in his voice reaching her ears.

It was more than I expected, she thought, but she simply said, "It was wonderful, George. Thank you for asking." Just at that moment, her phone beeped. It was a message from Rory. I'm sorry if I overstepped my bounds with you tonight. I guess you don't feel the same way. I hope this doesn't affect tomorrow night's performance. I'll see you at rehearsal in the morning.

Angel never texted back. She didn't know how to tell him that she felt the same - it couldn't go anywhere unless she was ready to tell him about how her depression had a hold on her life. He had probably already thought she was moody; if only that's all it was. She needed to see her therapist. She had a lot to unload. Her heart hurt.

****

Morning came, and Angel opened her eyes to sun streaming in her window, lighting up the motes of dust dancing around in the air. What a wonderful dream I just had, she thought. Images of Rory flashed before her eyes until she realized that it wasn't a dream. He had really told her he was falling for her. Brushing the morning cobwebs out of her head, she also realized that she had rebuffed his overtures. What a fool I am, she thought, berating herself. Why couldn't she just let this happen? He would understand her illness and maybe having him in her life would help. Angel was suddenly apprehensive about rehearsal today. She knew she could get through the acting part; it was the personal part that she feared.

She threw off the comforter and pulled on her robe and slippers. She needed a good cup of coffee to clear her head. She went into the bathroom to take her meds before going into the kitchen for breakfast. She had awakened feeling pretty good and didn't want to lose the calm she felt. With a clear head, she re-examined what had happened the night before. For the first time in her life, there was a possibility of requited love, and she had shunned it. She needed an impartial head to help her with this. Fortunately, she had an appointment with her therapist right after rehearsal. She needed to sort out the feelings that were jumbled inside her like puzzle pieces waiting to be fit together.

Rehearsal that day was awkward, to say the least. Maggie and Kevin were just fine; Rory and Angel were a different story. They ran through their lines like the pros they were, but the awkwardness was conspicuous-if only to themselves. When Angel left the stage after rehearsal, Rory followed behind to apologize.

"There's no need for an apology, except perhaps on my part," Angel answered rather sheepishly. "I guess I wasn't quite ready for this-whatever it is going on between us. You've got to give me time to absorb the feelings we're dancing around. Please, Rory, just give me some time." With that Angel left the theater and headed home until the night's performance.

Angel's words reverberated in Rory's head; whatever's going on between us. He was right. There was something there, and not just on his side. He would do as she asked and give her time. But, it would be difficult.