Memories - 6

Serene's P.O.V -

THE PRESENT- 5 years later..

A familiar, comforting hand on my shoulder gets me out of my thoughts. "Are you okay?" Marla, an older women, who is so sweet and caring, asks me softly. I nod my head at her, "Honey, I don't know what's wrong and you won't tell me why, but is everything okay?"

No nothing is okay. I screwed up. I lost the people I cared about. Over someone who didn't.

I always wanted to tell her that. Every single time I came to her Cafe, which was everyday.

Marla's Cafe was located near by the hospital that I work at, as an R.N. After leaving everything behind, I had to start fresh. I picked up from where I left off at college, before I married Colton, so I continued towards my career, getting a degree in Bachelor of Science in Nursing. When I got my degree, I started working at the hospital as a registered nurse.

I came to her cafe to relax but the thoughts of Colton, made me far from relax. The memories; good and bad made me suffocate. My heart squeezed painfully. I just couldn't get him out of my head. Or the people I loved.

All the thoughts and memories from my past, crashing down on me, again, weighing me down like bricks. I started crying more. I quickly wipe my tears, realizing I was attracting attention.

Attention was the word he mostly used to mocked me with.

It was true though, I am attracting attention, again. "Serene, sweetie talk to me, you seem lost again." She tells me with a frown on her face, while shaking me on my shoulder, lightly. I looked up at her, she seemed very concern, "I'm okay, Marla." I said it with a small smile, hoping she would drop the topic, like everyday but looks like today isn't the day. She always insisted on telling me If I'm okay, and what happened. But I always convinced her that everything is fine, and I lied to her for the past 5 years.

"You don't seem okay. Your shift is over. You should go home, before they call you in again." She took my plate and cup, looking down at me with so much love, "honey, If you want to talk. I am always here for you. Go home and rest." She tell me again. I breathed out with relief, thank god she didn't push it. She was so understanding. I nodded giving her a small smile. I grabbed my bag, and I walk out the door after giving her a tight hug.

I met Marla, after I moved here into this friendly town of Oregon called Ashland, unintentionally. It was a small town that was surrounded by mountains and trees and it was gorgeous, but it just didn't feel homey. I always feel lonely, a part of me didn't like it.

Just the thought of that, a small lump formed in my throat.

I lived in a small apartment, around two blocks away from the hospital. Whenever I feel down, which was most of the time, I walked home. It was autumn, and the weather was perfect. A little chilly but comforting. I walked down the main part of the town; the downtown. I loved it at night. So many small shops close to each other, from cafes to fancy restaurants, to clothing boutiques and salons, and much more. The streets were decorated around this time beautifully, for Thanksgiving. The lights shone everywhere, making all the stars disappear in the sky.

While walking, taking in all the peaceful surroundings, my eyes land on a beautiful Cathedral white dress decorated with rhinestones. I walked closer to the window where the dress was displayed.

I felt a sharp sting behind my nose and eyes, and tears threatened to surface again but I held my self back from crying, again. My hand goes on the window, tracing the design of the dress, when more memories resurface.

💫💫💫💫💫💫💫💫💫

I giggle at the childish act between Bella and Candy. "Oh my god, Annabella stop!" Uh oh. Candy used her full name. She must've got really mad. Rose snickered.