Chapter 27: New Year, New Problems

The deal was Felix would spend Christmas with Mona's family and she will spend New Year's with his family. They made that deal the following day. Dahil Pasko, hindi niya matanggihan ang hiling ni Felix. He really wanted her to like his family and she wants the same thing, but it still feels like she's ruining everything.

During the days between Christmas and New Year, she tried to learn as much as she can about his family. Anu-ano ang inihahandang pagkain ng mga ito tuwing Bagong Taon? Ano ang pwede niyang dalhin na tiyak na magugustuhan ng pamilya nito? Conservative ba ang mga ito? Formal ba ang suot?

Felix patiently answered all her questions, even the most awkward and difficult ones to answer.

"Is Andrea going to be there?" she asked while he's helping her pack her special cupcakes.

"Yes. And Angela too. I hope that's okay with you."

Napangiwi siya. "Hindi ba magiging awkward kapag nando'n ako?"

"I'm going to be honest with you," he replied. "It's gonna be weird if we're all there."

"Huwag na lang kaya akong pumunta?"

Felix sighed. "Mona..."

"Look, I don't want to ruin the occasion."

"You're not ruining anything." Lumapit ito sa kanya at hinawakan ang tigkabila niyang pisngi. "Masisira lang ang bagong taon ko kapag hindi kita kasama."

She smiled. "Fine. I'll go." Lumayo siya rito nang ilang hakbang at umikot para ipakita rito ang kabuuan ng damit. "Is this okay or magpapalit pa ba ako?"

"Can't you wear something sexier?"

She looked down on her dress and frowned. Sure, it isn't sexy. Pero hindi naman siya nagpapa-sexy. Gusto nyang magmukhang prim and proper sa harap ng pamilya nito. Kaya naman kahit alam niyang magmumukha siyang mas malapad ay pumili siya ng dress na may cap sleeves at pleated A-line skirt. Hanggang tuhod niya iyon. Ipinares niya ang kabibiling flat shoes na matigas ang material kaya masakit sa paa.

"You look like a Stepford mom."

"And that's a bad thing?"

Inilahad nito ang kamay. When she took his hand, he pulled her close. "You are not that kind of person. You're natural. You're spontaneous. You're real. This... this isn't you."

"Hmm... kung sabagay. Feeling ko rin naman ang taba kong tingnan sa suot ko."

She gave him a kiss and headed upstairs, to her room, to change. 'Yong mga damit na nasa sulok ng closet niya ang inilabas niya, the dresses she dreads to wear. 'Yong mga damit na kailangang may baon kang confidence palagi kapag suot mo because you can't wear them without it.

She pulled a red sheath dress na covered sa harap pero may malaking butas naman sa likod, a black body-hugging tight dress na strappy ang sleeves at low cut ang neckline. The red one, she can work with, pero hindi siya makakapagsuot ng body shaper dahil makikita sa likuran. The black one, she can wear just fine pero susunod ito sa kurba ng katawan niya. Kung marami siyang kurba, kitang-kita.

She can also wear her other black dress na long-sleeved at turtleneck, but it's not sexy enough. Felix wants something sexy and she needs to deliver. Ayaw niyang matalbugan ni Andrea.

Finally decided, she quickly changed into the black body-hugging dress and covered herself with a black wool jacket trench coat na may design na zippers going in all directions sa harap. And then, she wore a pair of strappy black heels to match her dress. Sana nga lamang ay hindi mabali ang takong noon habang na kina Felix siya.